Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple (but informative) eCalculator  (Read 3546 times)

Al Capwn

Simple (but informative) eCalculator
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »

Hi all, I've made a simple but informative e-calculator, here's what my spreadsheet will do after you enter a few bits of information....

INFORMATION GIVEN

Recipe

Like all e-liquid  calculators you will be told exactly how many mls or drops you need to use to  achieve the strength and flavour you have selected.

Ingredients
 Not many e-liquid  calculators tell you this, the exact quantities of individual chemicals in your  liquid.  The maths and formulas I have used take advantage of the densities and  proportions of each ingredient within your recipe (i.e in your recipe the base  nicotine is one liquid but it is made up of pure nicotine and either VG, PG or  PEG.  If you use 40% Vodka then it is one ingredient in your recipe list but in  the ingredients section of the spreadsheet the ethanol (alcohol) is separated  out and the other 60% goes down as water) so you know exactly what is in your  e-liquid by individual chemical.

It is not perfect, firstly  with the alcohol example, the 60% of a 40% Vodka that isn't ethanol won't be  pure water which it is counted as in the ingredients list as there would be  trace elements of flavourings (especially if you used Gin instead of Vodka) and  secondly the ingredients of the flavourings aren't listed as, obviously, every  flavour from every manufacturer has different ingredients and quantities  thereof.

Density
 Another useful stat is the  density (or thickness) of the proposed juice.  Pure VG which is generally  regarded as too thick to vape (hence why vendors that sell it always water it  down first) has a density of 1.261 g/cc (which means there are 1261 milligrams  in 1ml of liquid) whereas water has a density of 1 g/cc (or 1000 milligrams in  1ml).  This calculator will add every element of your liquid up using the  density of each on to give you a total density for your eliquid and a text  description of it's thickness so you know when you'll need to water down (or  thicken up) before you make your liquid.

HOW TO INPUT

Yellow Cells = Input your  information into these.

Blue Cells = Contain  Formulas, do not overtype in these cells.  Two of these (Flavour 1 and PG &)  appear, logically,  to be editable input cells but are there to help ensure the  total flavours/base liquid add up to 100%, so if you are only using PG as your  base then simply make sure the VG and PEG-400 boxes have 0 in  them.

Quantities
 Simply enter the amount of  liquid you want to make and also how many drops are equal to 1 ml if you plan on  using a dropper.

Nicotine  Base
 Enter the strenth of the  eLiquid you want to create (in milligrams), the strength of the base nicotine  solution you are using (in milligrams) and the type of base liquid you are using  (PG, VG or PEG-400 based).

Thinners
 If you are using water  and/or alcohol to thin your juice or improve throat hit with ethanol then enter  the ABV% of the alcohol (half the Proof if your in the US) and what percentage  of the total eLiquid you want the alcoholic liquid to make up, do the same for  any water you are adding/

Flavouring
 Firstly input the total  percentage you want all the flavouring you use to make up in the total  eLiquid(In some cases this may be as low as 5% and in others as high as 30%),  and then use the boxes below to mix up the flavours if you are using more than  one.  You can mix up to 6 flavours but remember that the total of them all must  equal 100%.

Base  Liquid
 If you are using any VG then firstly input  it's purity %; if you buy VG from e-liquid vendors such as Totally Wicked or  Liberty Flights for example you will probably have a "aqueous glycerin" that is  a pure glycerin watered down for mixing.  This is usually in a 90/10 or 85/15  ratio and will state on the bottle.  Then simply choose your ratio of PG,VG and  PEG-400 for the rest of you base; like above the total must be  100%.

Physical  Properties
 These are the density levels of the  chemicals involved with e-liquid manufacturer.  You shouldn't have to change these  ever unless the scientific nature of them changes (eek!).

And that's it!

This is v1 of the sheet and there probably won't be a v2 as I'm now building a program version using my computer programming skills.  I just wanted to get the basic maths down in excel first.  In my application version I will give users the ability to print ingredient stickers off and use "stock control" so you can plan your recipes as well as to ability to save recipes for future reference.

Anyway hope this helps people and that my program sounds even more useful

download .xls
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7asgko

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:41:43 PM by Al Capwn »

igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
Re: Simple (but informative) eCalculator
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »

Hi mate,

Nice work :D

Not sure if you have seen it or not, but we do have an e-liquid calculator here:-

http://www.e-cig-reviews.com/calculator

;)

Cheers

Scott
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:15:29 AM by igetcha »

Al Capwn

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »

Yes mate of course I've seen the calculator on here, what do you think I used when a bought my Platinum Ice Mixing kit from TW a month or so ago?  :D

As I said I'm building a programme so just wanted to get the maths down in that spreadsheet, I also wanted something that told you exactly what was in your juice (ingredients) rather than just how to make it because I like silly facts like that.  I have just bought over 450mls of DIY bases and flavourings so now I'm looking to get serious about mixing my own.

CountryMick

• So good, you'll want to slap your grandma!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

Very cool spreadsheet program, Al! Like how the densities are detailed in this - it could help a lot, especially for vapers who find themselves having to vape more VG than PG due to averse reactions to too much PG. Would be very helpful if different atty types gave a density range that works best for that particular atty. Wonder if manufacturers have such data on hand.

igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »

Al, the link in your 1st post doesnt seem to be working now? :(

Al Capwn

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

Very cool spreadsheet program, Al! Like how the densities are detailed in this - it could help a lot, especially for vapers who find themselves having to vape more VG than PG due to averse reactions to too much PG. Would be very helpful if different atty types gave a density range that works best for that particular atty. Wonder if manufacturers have such data on hand.

That would be good.  I'm gathering information about variius ratios needed for different flavours.

Scott, link is fixed now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up