Author Topic: Automatic switches for modding?  (Read 13638 times)

Offline Marky88

Automatic switches for modding?
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a good source of automatic (suction driven) switches suitable for modding? I have checked places like Maplins and RC, yet only seem to find heavy duty industrial type devices. I find that there is something comfortable in an automatic ecig. I'd want to pair the switch with a manual on-off ideally.
(I had a look in a cheap disposable type ecig, however this only had a weedy little battery so I burned it out with a 3.7 - very silly I know. Perhaps I should have tried to protect this with a resistor?)
Many thanks. Mark

Offline stevemontuno

• Platinum Member
  • The Dude
Re: Automatic switches for modding?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »
search EBay for tactile micro switches should give you some joy I recon dude

Offline Marky88

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
Thanks mate, will do. Trying to figure out what these things are called is half the battle!

Offline Marky88

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »
Sorry, it wasn't tacticals that I was after. (My question was unclear since I brought up an additional pushbutton for safety.) I really asking about automatic (suction/inhalation switches), like the starter ecigs sold at petrol stations. But something suitable for a 3.7v type mod.

So far, I've found an offering by Jante: http://eu.jantyworld.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=yagendoo_VaMazing_2.tpl&product_id=2094&category_id=75&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=351&lang=en I'm not sure whether this would work with general 510 devices though.

There's also this from MadVapes:http://www.madvapes.com/510-auto-switch.html
I am not keen on the LED. I wonder if the black and white wires could be joined directly, or whether the LED itself performs some regulatory function? I understand that the red wire connects to the positive terminal of the battery and the black wire also connects to the negative terminal of the battery.

Are there any other options that people have experience of. Particularly from UK retailers?

It would be nice to have something I could screw onto an otherwise pushbutton type mod.

Thanks as usual  :)

My Community

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »

Offline tripodbeatz

• YA KNOW WAT I MEAN!!!!!!!
    • pulse net radio
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
one of the main potential problems is draw time and actually getting the air to the switch to enable the atty to function, on auto switches there is only a short period of working time before it cuts off,this is why a auto switch ecig is insufficient for those seeking a better vape ,think some people have tried to do what you have described only to switch back to the mechanical counterparts .

are you making a mod to incorporate  this auto switch or trying to convert a mechanical mod of some kind and what atty are you wanting to use.

Offline Marky88

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »
What I'm thinking now is that I might try to stick that thing from Madvapes into a 510-510 extension tube (or similar)  and wire the negative to the inside of the tube and the positive to the extension tube centre post. Still not sure if the LED is necessary (I guess I'll have to short it to find out!) but it will be out of sight anyway inside the tube. I may  cap it off with a nice 510 to 510 connector to keep juice out.

This way I'll have something I can screw into a crude mod (with a simple ON/OFF circuit breaker type function), or a (soldered 510 connector) usb passthrough for when I'm at my desk. I'm a bit sick of dripping at the moment so it will be nice to get back to smoking carts.

Does this sound ok? Sorry for spamming.

I've just seen your post tripodbeatz. Thanks for the science. I had no idea about that but knew there must have been a reason why auto-switches are not really prevalent! Would drilling holes in  the extension tube improve air flow perhaps?

I am still not quite sure how airflow turns the device on. Is it to do with lifting the centre pin, or is it microchip based?

It was always something I intended to be a casual device. For sedentary work, where pushing a button a lot can be a slightly noticeable distraction.

Many thanks for your insight.

Offline Marky88

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
Oh, and I didn't answer your question regarding atomisers. I think I'd be using BOGE LR or something similar. I used to like dual coils quite a bit. I'd like to get back to carts really as I've been using rebuildables for a while.

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
with a draw (suction driven) switch, you will find yourself restricted to atomisers that can accommodate (obviously), as you need to be able to pull from an atomiser that can extend air draw, thus trigger the switch.

My Community

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »
beyond that obvious restriction, i suspect you could infact make a switch ...

im not entirely sure exactly how to achieve it in full, but i know that a diaphragm of mesh, below another piece of mesh, would be enough to create a circuit ...

difficulty would come from sussing a method for separating the two ... a very gentle spring with less resistance than is achieved by draw, might do the trick but its finding that perfect spring, which would too need insulating.

Offline tripodbeatz

• YA KNOW WAT I MEAN!!!!!!!
    • pulse net radio
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
i think the main issue is making sure the air pressure sensor is at the bottom of your tube  and the air hits through the middle to activate the switch  i think positioning the air  flow any where else might not make the switch work ,you might stumble into short circuits if auto device its screwed into 510  bypassing the battery, but im no electrical engineer i just like to take things apart to see how they work (ie breaking things lol) think you have the constituent parts to make it ,but getting it to work will be difficult, just be careful when messing around with cig electronics as  a short could cause catastrophic consequences as we have seen in recent months

if all else fails  get auto 510 batterys and pcc and bang some boges on it

best of luck bud in your auto quest

Offline Marky88

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »
That makes sense. It would certainly limit the carts/atts that could provide a satisfying level of vapour (having to rip hard on petrol shop type ecigs is not pleasant!). I take it that there is a chip in these devices that determines when the switch is triggered rather than it being mechanical? Presumably, this is the LED containing chip in the MADVAPES product. I suppose this could be ameliorated by altering the airflow through the device with intake holes or by altering the chip somehow. (The former seems a simpler option.)  However, as you say the carts/atts that I could use are likely to be restricted. I am hopeful regarding the MADVAPES setup as they seem to use it on their automatic box mods. The other major limitation that comes to mind for me is preventing juice from getting in (waterproofing) without interrupting the airflow. I wonder how voltage will interact with switch performance (it would be simple to wire a crude variable resistor from an old set of speakers etc to a usb cable.) I had intended this to be a cheap casual device that would be plugged in to my workstation. However, I can see that perhaps automatic switches are more complex than I had envisaged. As a rudimentary backup device  perhaps it may have its merits. However, it is evident that automatic switches are unpopular for a number of very good reasons.

Offline Marky88

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
Sorry, didn't see your replies. I think you are right. Automatic switches are probably a bad idea unless you really know what you are doing, and I don't! I left my proper ecig at home and brought an automatic from a garage as a stopgap yesterday. It didn't work well but I liked the automatic idea. I can see now that the problem of creating an automatic device that is safe with a large battery and that offers consistent and sustainable performance is far from trivial. Thanks to everyone who commented. I found it very informative and it has probably saved me a lot of costly tinkering! Manual switches probably aren't the problem. I'm currently using a magneto smoktech and miss my trusty old silver bullet! (Not really in the same league.) So that is probably to blame for my distrust of buttons. Hopefully getting paid soon, so I'm sure I'll resolve that problem. Cheers for your patience.

My Community

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline Marky88

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
Just finished poking around the net and found that MADVAPES 5V auto box mod seems to have disappeared. I guess that is telling. Perhaps even with a lot of clever circuitry (i.e. not just slapped on top of a mechanical device as I was proposing!) automatic switches can still be an unpredictable disappointment or even a liability. I will steer clear. Thanks for the warning.

Offline zarf

• Tin-foil milliner wonders what happened to avatar?

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
having thought a little more about this, I wonder if a mercury switch might offer a practical alternative solution ... :-\