Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony us18650vtc4 overheating  (Read 3959 times)

Jimbojones

• Windowlicker
Sony us18650vtc4 overheating
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »

Brand new out of the box Sony us18650vtc4 battery, inserted it into my Smok Magneto and then put it on my volt meter to test fire it. When i fired the switch on my mod the meter didnt read anything but the mod and battery got very hot. Do i have a dud battery? Or a short? Im testing on my battery and atomiser tester from cloud9 http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/Products/C72-13

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
Re: Sony us18650vtc4 overheating
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »

sounds like you have a short somewhere - be careful.

i would , carefully, try the same routine less the volt meter in order to rule that out - if the battery even begins to heat, then immediately detach it and lay it somewhere safe to cool.

(on a cloth in a metal sink would be my first choice)

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

next - if the mod/battery does again heat up, then i'd look closely at the centre pin of the 510 connector for any visible contact with the thread/body of the mod.

if however, the mod/battery does not heat, then i would attempt fitting an atomiser and again observe reaction of the mod when fired.

Jimbojones

• Windowlicker
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »

Sound advice itsmeitis, cheers! i did as you suggested, the mod and battery stay cool so went ahead and put my atty on and it fires perfectly fine. Tested my ego battery on the volt meter and it looks as if that is the culprit, thanks mate :)

zarf

• Tin-foil milliner wonders what happened to avatar?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »

? so it seems the volt meter may have been faulty ? ? ?

apologies, but something still doesn't make sense here :
 summary: first try of vtc4 in magneto results in hot cell. disassemble and on second try it works ok...  hm...:?
---> intermittent fault (short)?

sounds to me as if you still may still have a fault somewhere:

a. switch (disassemble, and re-check the magnets carefully, along with overall operation of switch. Sometimes, if magnets have their movement obstructed and stick,  they may crack if forced, and can become a pain in terms of a switch-local hard short, caused by fragments going *wherever* -  which can only be addressed by unscrewing a mod (very risky when it is hot) 
b. five-ten connection (on mod OR/AND on atomiser) : may have been over tightened, and the positive pathway may be touching the negative one ---> check insulation for crushed damage...
c. atomiser: stray wire,etc...

you need to be confident that you have identified the root cause of the overheating.

("gone away. works ok now" ---> always keeps me awake at night, with "nigglies"... xD)

good luck with your debugging

(and excellent choice of cell btw)

zarf

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »

(thoughts): hm, maybe you were just testing the the voltage under load (dunno if that is possible with that volt meter which you linked-to), in which case: yes, you may have identified the problem to be just with the meter.

(you've already done the next step: Removing meter from the equation, and re-testing mod+cell+atomiser... xD)

(edit 2: ok. i followed the link to the volt meter. This model cannot be used for voltage-drop measurement. its five-ten may be the source of problem, when measuring your magneto's battery's voltage...)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:57:01 PM by zarf »

Jimbojones

• Windowlicker
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »

(thoughts): hm, maybe you were just testing the the voltage under load (dunno if that is possible with that volt meter which you linked-to), in which case: yes, you may have identified the problem to be just with the meter.

(you've already done the next step: Removing meter from the equation, and re-testing mod+cell+atomiser... xD)
Hi zarf, yes ive checked all the connections, atty, switch etc and all seems fine, i get the same over heating result with my efest 18350 battery. The meter only reads the volts when the battery is fired. Ive contacted Keith from c9 and he is happy to replace it and take a look at it. I will use my mod with caution as always, cheers

zarf

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »

ah. ok. it certainly points to a faulty meter then. good on them to replace with no quibble.... xD
Pages: [1]   Go Up