Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: blaze sparked by an e-cigarette kills Tinker  (Read 4582 times)

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
blaze sparked by an e-cigarette kills Tinker
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »

Wigan leaves you wondering as this story from from Wigan Today might demonstrate ...

THIS was the scene of devastation after a family’s home was engulfed in a horrific blaze sparked by an e-cigarette.

Victoria Newton, 34, and her three children are “lucky to be alive” but have been left with this terrible mess after the electronic cigarette blew up when it was left plugged in.

She was at home with four-year-old son Dylan and daughters Millie-Anne, nine, and Lauren, 13, when the blaze ripped through their semi-detached home on Saturday, killing their neighbour’s cat in the process.

Victoria, who has been left homeless by the blaze, said: “It was a nightmare. My daughter Lauren had some friends round and one of her mates had plugged in her e-cigarette and they’d gone out playing. About 15 minutes later, I was doing housework and I heard this crackling noise coming from Lauren’s bedroom.

“I didn’t know what it was and when I reached the landing I just remember this huge bang and I was thrown to the floor by the force of it. It had been left on the floor and the explosion sent it flying across the room and it ended up under Lauren’s bed.

“I was crawling around and when I looked I couldn’t believe my eyes. There was smoke everywhere and the room was on fire.

“The force of the blast had blown out all the bedroom windows and blown the door off the hinges. I couldn’t breathe and my instinct was just to grab Dylan and get out.”

Victoria says her two daughters were in the front garden playing when she ran outside covered in soot carrying her four-year-old son. Her neighbour’s cat Tinker, who was in the house at the time, sadly died in the blaze.

Victoria said: “My first thought was to make sure my kids were safe. My son was screaming and when my girls saw us run outside they heard me shouting ‘fire’ and they burst into tears.

“I thought the cat was in the house so I left Dylan outside and I ran back in but I couldn’t see or breathe because there was so much smoke. It’s awful that Tinker died but I’m grateful it wasn’t my kids. It could have been so much worse though.”

Victoria hopes the ordeal will act as a warning to others.

Wigan Today

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
Re: blaze sparked by an e-cigarette kills Tinker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »

Terrible story. I won't leave my batts on the charger overnight  because I worry about something going wrong while the family and I are sleeping. I do find it very hard to believe that the resulting explosion created a blast big enough to throw the woman to the ground in an adjacent room (or even the same room for that matter) .

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »

i agree, it does seem grossly sensationalised or otherwise ignorant reporting of what is an otherwise possible if unfortunate incident - trouble is, most of us sane are unlikely to believe an e-cig in isolation could amass the energy required to blow out windows and doors, so it would be safe to assume another contributing factor had to be present inside the room, or the story is pure fabrication ...

whatever the real story behind this incident, it is worth taking onboard the one note that care is always advisable when handling/charging/using batteries, and of all types.

gruff

• Platinum Member
  • shapes of death, beset the path.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

Any amount of new technology given to a wiganner, will ultimately, end in disaster.
 Feel sorry for the cat though. RIP Tinker.

funkybunch

• Diamond Member
  • More mods than I need, less than I 'need'
    • Funkybunch's redbubble page
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:25 PM »

Maybe this was an elaborate set up to cover that they killed the cat

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »

i was thinking along the same lines.

day one, Tinker craps on the rhubarb ... day two, Tinker craps on the strawberries ... day three, gulp :-X

gruff

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »

Spot on funky.
As itsmeged said, an e-cig on its own,whilst being charged , would probably not be enough to  shatter windows and   blow the doors off, but I have a theory.

I did write my theory but decided not to post it  after careful consideration , as it could be seen as offensive, childish, inapropriate but fendishly clever.

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 03:11:13 AM »

Now I want to hear your inappropriate and clever theory gruff

nosmo

• Subohm ya dick off!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »

Love the comments  :))

gruff

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

No captain, cant do that, the animal lover in me wont let me. What I can do is give you a list of things you'd need :-
Ego battery connected to a charger
 A cat
 A tube of super glue
 A roll of duct tape
 A bucket of petrol
 A power supply
 An alibi (friends and neighbours)

this list is in no particular order, and its down to your own imagination as to how you utilise them.

Poor old tinker, furry friend, vaping martyr and explosive CATalyst, R.I.Pieces

tripodbeatz

• YA KNOW WAT I MEAN!!!!!!!
    • pulse net radio
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »

can i point out something thats in this story ....My daughter Lauren had some friends round and one of her mates had plugged in her e-cigarette and they’d gone out playing. <<<< gone out playing  which means the user possibly is under age,  so why was this sold to her in the first place  ;)

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »

is a concerning one - however - as one sponsored representative from ECCA infamously stated to ITV chief consumer affairs correspondent, 'no valid reason why kids shouldn't enjoy the experience in much the same way as drinking coffee'.

in addition, we often see the usual suspect group of e-cig advocates invoke their routine favourite, '12 year olds are entitled to NRT', as if that position somehow serves to influence their equating e-cigs as being acceptable choice for minors to decide upon ...

ultimately, kids will and do follow less than informed decisions as we all know by our very own arrivals here, however whether or not thats a good thing is certainly open to interpretation. from my personal standpoint i think it would be naive to discount all that i learned from smoking, to then simply accept e-cigs per say could never pose any harm.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:36:03 PM by itsmeitis »

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Going out to play after plugging in her e-cig ...maybe it was the 9 year old  :o

I wonder if the cat been kitnapped and held hostage in the kids the bedroom .....or the huge blast threw out half the bedroom furniture and landed on the cat whilst sun bathing in it's own garden.....

R.I.P Tinker

NoMoon

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »

In fairness, it was inevitable that a small battery would blow up half a house as soon as Michael Bay got into designing ecigs.  I bet there are pictures of the daughter and friend walking away from the explosion while doing a slo-mo high five.

zarf

• Tin-foil milliner wonders what happened to avatar?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »

oh. Tinker was a cat ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up