Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: e-cigarette sparks incident - engulfs gran in flames  (Read 4213 times)

JamesC

• Tickle tickle tickle
Re: e-cigarette sparks incident - engulfs gran in flames
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »

Well they may be a victim of bad press but I'm sure that common sense needs to prevail here, for the sake of the leaders as well as the vapers.

Being the guy to be fronting a ban on e-cigs now would be like putting your own neck in a noose. A year ago I hardly ever saw a vaper, but now I see people all the time with ego batteries. They have found their way into shops and are becoming very popular. People I know that once made fun of vaping are now even getting prepared to start themselves.

Viva la Revolution ha ha  :wave

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »

ultimately, this particular news story (regarding Jean Booth) is for all its sensationalism, still of sound advice.

it is not advisable to use electrical devices in close proximity to fuel gasses, such as oxygen.

if the story should deter anyone connected to an oxyfen supply from vaping, it will not cause the demise of e-cigarettes per say.

the story should upset those on oxygen assisted breathing more than it does those just vaping e-cigs ... we though make greater emphasis of the part we feel wronged by and despite it being clear that it was the ignited oxygen which was reportedly resposible for extent of the horific burns injuries.

if the injury had been devoid of e-cigs but instead effected by Joey Essex, then the Sun and other news mediums would have reported on it much a similar way as if e-cigarettes were rumpoured to involved ... twitter and other daft social mediums would suggest the public on mass, have paralelled interest in such affairs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:22:10 PM by itsmeitis »

JamesC

• Tickle tickle tickle
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

Exactly, and when the e-cigarette stands to become a multi billion pound industry it's almost guaranteed to be here to stay. Once it has that kind of power it isn't going anywhere. And so long as it doesn't get lumped with taxes and red tape like cigarettes did, it will be here to stay forever.

In a world where industries constantly farm for £££ and for growth I think it's pretty safe to say that we need not worry about the existence of e-cigs themselves but worry more about the potential future tax hikes as the chancellor will begin to take this into consideration with future budgets etc

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »

it might be ever so naive to think that e-cigarettes, the new clean alternative to smoking and remodelled lifes addiction, would ever be left entirely untouched by penalties such as taxes ... governments depend on revenues as under decline and natural progression shows clearly how to recover a majority of such losses.

e-cigarettes might service well the revenue requirements of western governments for many decades to come and with projected figures running into many trillions by 2050, the opportunity is one which they can ill afford to ignore.

there are also many mitigating reasons to legitimise such moves and meanwhile, reports in the newspapers thus far don't yet nearly represent any of them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:51:09 PM by itsmeitis »

JamesC

• Tickle tickle tickle
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »

They need to let the industry flourish before hitting on it too much. They'll be wise to let this cash cow get nice and fat before they start milking it lol

It draws so many parallels to the Alco-pops row back in the early nineties, I'm sure as we remember it made the news and was slapped all over news papers and TV programmes about how Alco-pops are marketed at kids and the danger which it presents to society and health.

Now in 2014 when I go to the local shop or supermarket and most pubs (that I don't frequent by the way) Alco-pops represent the biggest choice in alcoholic beverage available. We are confronted with a bamboozling choice of Alco-pop type drinks every time we go in search of something nice to drink, also it's nearly the cheapest type of drink to buy. I don't even know a mature adult that drinks WKD or Smirnoff ice lol all I want is a nice Ale but don't get as wide a choice for that in most places and would imagine it's no different for someone who's looking for a good single malt either.

Tinytears

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »

Oxygen isn't flammable so don't know how they can head it up that it ignited her oxygen supply. It will feed a fire but there has to be something combustible to start it in the first place. If she sparked her lighter it could've in theory made that spark something bigger, she maybe even lit the lighter and if she was on high oxygen the flame might've been huge. I've got an oxygen concentrator at home for my daughter so I've read anything and everything about this sort of thing.

Diane

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »

true pure oxygen alone is rarely flammable, but if a lighter involved in such fire as to ignite the upper body of a person, it might likely offer obvious sign of damage to said lighter, thus making clear and evident the source.

we do know beyond doubt that the e-cigs coil/wick can unexpectedly ignite, so it must therefore be feasible to believe that an e-cig may in rare or isolated case be sufficiantly able, particularly while close to the unquestionably crucial oxygen supply which lent large hand to exacerbating this incident.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:40:40 AM by itsmeitis »

DirkDampf

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »

I saw an older chap on a mobility scooter in Asda today. He had airtubes in his nose and an Innokin VTR in his hand and he did not blow up lol. Actually it was the first person I've ever met with a mod while out and about.

Tinytears

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »

It's not that oxygen is rarely flammable, it's not flammable at all. It can cause in some cases combustible materials to ignite. She could've even been wearing petroleum on her lips if they were dry because of the oxygen use and you're not meant to use that or lip balm with oxygen and yes if she was taking sneaky puffs of her e-cig under her mask it could've set something going.

If it was caused by her lighter there might not be any damage to it, if you have oxygen coming out the tube onto a lit lighter it makes the flame higher because it's feeding the fire but it doesn't damage the lighter, a bit like when you make the hole the gas comes out the lighter bigger the flame is huge but it doesn't show any damage.

It might end up coming down to the fault of the hospital if they haven't told her what she is and isn't allowed to put on her face under her mask because it's not to be anywhere near grease or oils. But the NHS owning up to their own mistakes is a rarity as we all know.

Diane

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »

yes i agree - oxygen isn't flammable, but nor is the typical 65 year old lady ... ;D

if though, this lady was subjected to higher than normal levels of oxygen about her person, she would indeed be flammable. be it her hair or clothing, those items would succumb to abnormally high probability of combustion, should her e-cigarette offer ignition.

here is a video which demonstrates the ease at which typically non-flammable components might ignite ... the extent would be advanced massively in the presence of added oxygen.

the newspaper report might offer some uncomfortable reading for us as vapers, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the story was treading an accurate route as reported.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:48:54 PM by itsmeitis »

Tinytears

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »

The newspaper report isn't uncomfortable reading as they are only putting an e-cig as one of the possible causes.  I am though giving a few other examples of what could've happened and not concentrating on it only being the fault of an e-cig.

She isn't flammable, even if she was sitting in a tent full of oxygen she still wouldn't be flammable. If you were in a tent full of oxygen and lit a match it wouldn't ignite you or all the oxygen in the tent, it would only make the flame of the match bigger because there would be 100% oxygen instead the usual 16%-17% in the air. 

It's more like something ignited and it spread fast rather than her going up in a oner, oxygen just doesn't work that way.

Diane

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »

Well 30% of fire fatalities are attributed to cigarets so even if for some odd reason in this case an e cig is determined to be the cause then I still believe there is a huge risk reduction with e cigs. I can also say whenever a fire investigator can't determine a fire's cause, electrical becomes the fall back easy out - and e cigs are just more electrical devices for investigators to point fingers at.

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »

Well 30% of fire fatalities are attributed to cigarets so even if for some odd reason in this case an e cig is determined to be the cause then I still believe there is a huge risk reduction with e cigs. I can also say whenever a fire investigator can't determine a fire's cause, electrical becomes the fall back easy out - and e cigs are just more electrical devices for investigators to point fingers at.

i agree, the original old stinky is responsible for far more injuries and fatalities than any other - those facts however, do little to help out the next unfortunate after Jean Booth.

the story such as the one published might go some way to alert people to the associated dangers of electrical devices such as e-cigs and if that goes some way to preventing similar injury, then overall outcome is positive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:03:54 PM by itsmeitis »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up