Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HEEEEEEEELP!!!  (Read 2636 times)

Georgie1771

HEEEEEEEELP!!!
« on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »

Hey Guys,

So Im jumping into the world of RBAs feet first. I'm the first to admit that I don't do things in halves. Before even making my first successful build I have bought 2 Genesis style atomisers (Clones). One Gamma V2 and the AGA T2. Not only this but I have just bought the Ikarus King genesis hybrid as a birthday present to myself which cost me a cool 200 niker ::)
That being said Im in need of some urgent assistance so I can just make a half decent build. Im not expecting miracles straight off but just getting one working  would be good. Im finding that vaping is incredibly hot, harsh and vaping tastes like machine oil or metalic taste. Im using some 500 steel mesh and .28 A1 Kenthal wire. My build process is as follows...
1) Cut 3x2 mesh
2) cut a decent length of wire.
3) roll the wick into shape and oxidise with a lighter
4) douse with e-liquid and burn off (repeat 4 times)
5) slot wick into hole (with syringe tip inside to keep stiff), attach wire to positive post and start to coil
6) coil 4-5 times well spaced, feed other end into neg post and lock down
7) check resistance (usually between 0.8 - 1.2ohms)
8) attach to mod and pulse to get rid of hot spots (wiggle coils if needed until glowing evenly)
9) put a little e-liquid on the wick to get capilary started and fill tank
10) Pop cap on...have a little vape
11) Cough, splutter, swear, scratch head and wonder why it hasnt worked AGAIN!!!

From what I hear about Genesis style attys...at this point I should be having an epiphany!! Flavour, vapour production and all round enjoyment should be through the roof  :drool. Unfortunately this is not the case. What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone help me? Im hoping my new all singing all dancing mod wont be a complete let down.

Thanks Georgie1771

igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
Re: HEEEEEEEELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:33:38 PM »

personally i would connect the wire to the negative 1st, then wrap my coils and finish by attaching to the positive......but if that works for you then that is the correct way :)

before going any further, are yiou making sure that the air hole is lined up directly in front of the wick? this is very important......the further away the air hole is from the wick / coils then the less vapour will be produced and the throat hit will get intense

secondly, what voltage are you vaping at? if your resistance is 0.8 - 1 ohms then you don't really want to be above 3.7v if possible

cheers

scott

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

You sound like you have the basics covered, now with a little fine tuning it will all come together.  I struggled at 1st but now I find it all a piece of cake. I would suggest oxidizing the wick with a torch and not a lighter. For mesh size I typically use 30mm wide x 40 mm tall for the attys with larger wick holes and 15 mm x 40 mm for the ones with small wick holes. I do as Scott does and connect my (-) at the base, then do my wraps ( turning the mod and not having the coil too tight or loose). I pulse fire a new coil ( on low v/w on variable devices, or with a weaker battery on mechanicals) until all the coils are glowing. I nudge the coil as needed and then get it glowing for a few 10 sec burns an then fill the tank. Any harshness should be attributed to hot spots or poorly feeding wicks. Note: alway have wick down towards you when vaping so it stays in the juice. Poorly feeding wicks may be overly tight or the juice could be too thick. I find it's best not to fill the tank to the top as the air pocket helps the juice feed, on that note some gennys have fill screws while other just have an open fill hole.  Having the fill hole open does help the wicks feed, but also makes the atty leak badly when not upright . This think, once you master this it will be time to tackle micro coils :P

Georgie1771

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. Re: the air hole point..you may be right....i completelty forget to line up the wick with the air holes. Ill make sure i do that from now on.
Also i did think that oxidising with a lighter might be the issue. On the Gamma V2 it has 2 posts so you can set up dual wicks so lowest point to sfart wrappong is the positive post which is why i do it this way.

ill do  another build tonight and take on these 2 points. If it continues ill come bk and complain some more. :P

Thanks

Georgie1771

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »

Also re the voltage im vaping at...i use a mrchanical so i use a 18500/360 battery. I van only assume at full charge that would be 3.7v right?

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »

fully charged, it will likely throw out slightly more than 4 volts - declining as you go.

Georgie1771

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

Hey Guys,

After initially having issues with my set up with my rebuildables and my new ikarus...i seem to have cracked it (at least with my ikarus). I now have a working genesis build witch is great. I bought some new 18360 batteries which mean connection is good and its vaping nicely. 
Now i have a new problem (which i suppose is more of a mod issue). The AW IMR 18350 batteries which i bought for the mod are around 2mm too big for the mod. They are buttom top batteries which add a couple of mls insuppose but i heard that AW dont do flat top 18350 batteries.
*itsmeitis* I know u have an ikarus v1 do you have this problem? Im using the shortest connector pin in the top cap but i get a 2mm gap between the top cap when its all screwed together.
It doesnt stop it from working....its just annoying.

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »

just looking at my Ikarus, and AW 18350s do fit fine with both the carbon fibre, and stainless steel tube.

however,

my Ikarus has grub screws in the central thread - which i quite probably did add myself on account of poorly fitting batteries.

Georgie1771

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:05:17 PM »

Ahh ok cool,

So a trip to do it all is in order then! Any tips on size?

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »

just done a comparison and they are 'M4' - i assume is a standardised size.

the length being around 8mm - but there is room to screw them in further, or out some, as required.

Georgie1771

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »

Nice 1....good place to start! Ill hop to it. Cheerz mate! :wave

Georgie1771

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »

I wanted to post an update to this post for anyone who was interested and may be experiencing the same issues. As can be seen from the above posts I definately threw myself into the world of RBAs and Genesis style attys hoping that these would be for me. It hasn't been an easy journey, but I have finally ironed out all the creases.

After trying a number of builds, and wicking materials I found that the best combination for me personally was dual micro colis with a cotton wick. Its definately not an easy build as there is a but of a nack to using cotton (Too much cotton and it doesnt wick, Too little and it falls appart). But once you get it right its a really clean vape and delivers on the taste front. Also a benefit to building with dual wicks is that the genesis wont be so prone to leaking when carrying around in your pocket. I found building with wire mesh quite fiddly and I always got a weird taste out of it. Sometimes the vapes were really harsh, this may not be down to the mesh alone but it definately wasn't working for me!!

Anyone who is having taste/harsh vape issues, I'd advise to try as many different combos as possible. Eventually you will find something that works (albeit after some very frustrating times) but perseverance is key.
Pages: [1]   Go Up