Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bogus TPS Calls  (Read 1756 times)

Grove

• It's not a clone, it's a coincidental likeness
Bogus TPS Calls
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »

If any body gets a call from a company called "stop these calls . co . uk" please tell them to piss off as they are just out to get your money. I didn't post their actual link address properly because i don't think these arseholes deserved the net traffic.

My mum called BT 3 weeks ago to report nuisance calls that she had been getting which to be honest were just annoying more than anything. They were international calls from god knows where trying to sell all sorts of ****.

Long story short, the company above called her saying that they were informed that she had contacted BT about these annoying calls and her details were passed on to them from BT and managed to get her to pay £59.99 over the phone for them to block the calls for 3 years. Yeah you might have guessed that even BT cant stop random international calls without blocking the rest of the world from calling you at all.

She told me about this today even though she paid them 4 days ago. I called BT and naturally they have no idea who they are or how they knew she had called them and said that it was just a marketing call. The odd part is that she has never had a call from any company in the past offering this service at all so christ knows how they knew.

Anyway, if you have mums or dads who are not exactly the full ticket like i do when it comes to this sort of thing then please make sure they are not handing card details over to random callers on the phone or you might have to have them committed as i will be doing later today.

She is now having to cancel her card to stop the payment going through then its off to the nut house for her.

The really stupid part is that her number is already registered with TPS so the service they are offering should have been the exact reason they shouldn't have called in the first place.

(Yes this is exactly the same as i put on Facebook but it saved a lot of typing)

buzbybarz

• Provari, Vamo, DiD, 2 Spheroids, KFL,VTR,KFL Clone
Re: Bogus TPS Calls
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »

I have a batty old Aunt who has told callers she is off on holiday for a week and when, handed over her card number for "health pills", had her eye brows tattooed by  an unqualified person, she had two black eyes and they looked like two dead slugs. And this is just a few of the daft things she has done. I do love her to bits. Calls cannot be barred from international callers. I started by telling them to get lost , but now I just still the phone with them still on the other end under the cushion. The calls have all dried up. Tps isn't working either as i still get calls and have to inform them that i have TPS.. :banghead :banghead

Moocow

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »

TPS is the problem, think it was Which did a survey and found those registered with TPS got DOUBLE the amount of calls as those not on the list. TPS also has no actual enforcement powers as such, it's just a direct marketing best practise thing.
Basically if a company calling is not exactly "legit" they get access to the list of TPS opt outs and add it to the people to call anyway - yay!

Grove

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:56:36 PM »

so you're pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't then lol

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

damnedest if you do than don't :banghead

kondor101

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:57:48 AM »

In fairness, most of the folk on TPS are on it because they are on various hot lists that means that get called a lot.

And that is the problem with this tale, because now she has signed up to this she will be placed on a hot list and will get bombarded with even more calls as a known buyer of goods and services over the phone.

Crap isn't it.

Best bet is to phone the credit card or bank now, tell them your mum has fallen for a fraudulent phone call that has taken her details and her bank "card details are no longer secure".  Demand a new card.

Change her phone number, or/and get an old fashioned answering machine.   Dunno why these fell out of fashion really and I might get one.  It would be quite nice to listen to some idiot having to talk to my machine instead of them listening to me (technically also an idiot) talking to theirs.  A good one will record the numbers and show you who has called, but I bet you could get something that would do the job for nowt off freecycle.

Grove

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »

She has already cancelled the card.

Changing the number isn't a way to go as she's had the same number from when she first ever got a phone in the house about 37 years ago, yes seriously, she has never had a different number to the original one they gave her.

She used to have a proper answer machine but got rid of it because she's a Luddite and refuses to use one, trust me I've been down that route many many times.

As for recording numbers, there is no number as most of them are international calls which she could block but that would also block calls from relatives in Canada who's number doesn't come up either. UK numbers come up though so not sure why international numbers don't.

I'm thinking about removing her from the TPS thing but not sure if that will just make it worse.

I answer a lot of the international calls and just tell them to "go away" but I'm not always here to do that.

emtronea

• Platinum Member
  • Official ECR Nutter
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »

how did that site hack into bt phone records to find out ya mum was having a problem, sounds like its owned by bt to me

Grove

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »

Andy, that is the exact same question i put to BT because it seemed very odd that she had never had a call from any company like that before she called BT about the problem and they said that they DO NOT give any details about customers to anybody.

I said to them that it was too much of a coincidence that it happened and have now put in a complaint to BT mentioning it not that they actually care anyway so i doubt i'll ever get a proper answer from them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up