Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plz help noob!  (Read 2706 times)

a3Rogue

plz help noob!
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »

Hey guys,

So I recently took the plunge in to VV/VW with an MVPv2 which I quite like, but I plan on getting a Kayfun Lite pretty soon and I am eyeing up things I will need in conjunction with it.  I am planning on getting a fair bit of 29 gauge Kanthal A1 and a few bags of Organic Cotton Wool.

The thing that is confusing me is the Kanthal.  Different places have different AWG types of Kanthal, but according to a table I seen on Stealth Vapes if I want 29 gauge I need to buy 30mm, but if I go to vape-atomizer-mesh.com their 29 gauge is 28mm....

Anyone know which is correct?  Are they both the same gauge but different mm?

I also intend to try and aim for 1.6ohm coils in my Kayfun, I have watched GrimmGreen's rebuild youtube video quite a few times now, it would be a 9 wrap micro coil (I think it's a micro coil anyway!), although I will start out with it on my MVP I intend to eventually put it on a mech mod, will this be OK?  I know most people who use mech mods go for sub ohm coils.

Oh one more thing, is it really necessary to boil the cotton wool? If so what's the best way? I think I heard RiP Trippers say he boils his in Deionised water for 15mins, rinses it through and then boils for a further 15mins, is this how everyone does it?

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
Re: plz help noob!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »

is it really necessary to boil the cotton wool?

no - it should be pre treated and clean and ready to use.

a3Rogue

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:07:14 AM »

Thanks itsmeitis, one less thing to do :)

sando_m1

• Failure IS an option. Just not a good one.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »

You wont regret getting a Kayfun. I love mine. So easy to rebuild and a great vape. Welcome to the forum!!

spyder

• Airholes are just pilot holes. Get ya drill out!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »

I bag of cotton will virtually last a lifetime.

As for the gauge. A friend recently bought some 27,28,30 and 32 gauge wire from the same vendor that I did and all the sizes vary to mine. For reference, I'm sure my 28 gauge is .30mm, 30 gauge is .25mm which makes...

but if I go to vape-atomizer-mesh.com their 29 gauge is 28mm....

...sound about right. Grabbing 28,29 and 30 gauge will allow for some experimentation.

a3Rogue

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I am looking forward to trying out the Kayfun, everyone says it's a beast :)

I guess I will just get the 29AWG 28mm stuff, £10 for 50m is pretty insane lol

Daddy Cool

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »

a3Rogue

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »

Thanks for the link :D

a3Rogue

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »

OK I am back, still not got my Kayfun, I am working on a tight budget lol, I should be able to order it soon.  But I have just received my Kanthal and Organic Cotton Balls.  I have 1 more question though if someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

Of all the youtube build tutorials I have watched I have seen people use different diameter objects to wrap their coils.  Unfortunately I only have 2 options, a 2mm or a 2.5mm drill bit.  Which would be best to use?  I think I seen someone use a 3/64'ths bit which is pretty much a 2mm.  But I seen someone else using a 2.25mm bit.

Or is either acceptable and I should just experiment?

spyder

• Airholes are just pilot holes. Get ya drill out!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »

Or is either acceptable and I should just experiment?

You said it. Test and test. What works best for you is best. I'd aim to get something a bit smaller too. The needle tip off a needle tipped bottle or blunt syringe needles, a paperclip etc.

a3Rogue

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »

Oh so smaller is usually better?  Thank you for the reply :) 

I did just experiment though, I was sitting here with itchy fingers and decided to rebuild a Aspire BDC head seeing as it was horrid.  I did a 9 wrap coil around the 2mm bit, only the one coil.  It came out at 1.8ohms and it is so much better than the original dual coils that was in it :P

Anyway, I will just keep faffing around rebuilding these BDC heads till I get my Kayfun :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up