Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This seems a bit late now (typical) (micro coils and gennys)  (Read 3617 times)

Jabb3r

• You can't underestimate a good prod and poke...
This seems a bit late now (typical) (micro coils and gennys)
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »

But I been experimenting with micro coils on some RDA's with nice results (waiting on some organic cotton balls to arrive to try that out)

I aint been about much, had alot on, becoming one of those dad things etc, but been trying to keep up with things where I can.

Anyway today I managed to get a working micro coil on my cobra using drill bit and pulse methods with an unoxidized SS wick (not sure of the type of SS) combined and it seems to be going quite the thing and afaik the micro coils seem to last a nice time. I was all excited when it all came together and wanted to tell you all of me findings, but looks like I am still a bit behind the vaping times lol.

It's a good way to setup gennys mind and looks the nuts as scott would say.

Any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers

Jabb3r

Nick Brown

Re: This seems a bit late now (typical) (micro coils and gennys)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »

Well done you mate :) You're ahead of me, I still can't do micro coils ::)

zarf

• Tin-foil milliner wonders what happened to avatar?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »

hey Jabber,
Congratulations on becoming a dad. :D

yeah, micro-coils work well on genesis-style atomisers.
I was most intrigued when Rocc first posted those links to the youtuber showing micro-coils, some time back.
In fact, on my AGA-S, which has almost no space in which to work, they're the best thing since ... er ... ever.
The limited space on the AGA-S always troubled me, but not if I build a micro-coil on it...

(and no, I actually do keep my AGAs clean - this pic was taken immediately after I fired it for a bit, and splatter went everywhere... :(
and... no laughing at that wick - it works!)

Jabb3r

• You can't underestimate a good prod and poke...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »

Well done you mate :) You're ahead of me, I still can't do micro coils ::)

What problems you having bud cause if I can get um going, anybody can (seriously)

Thanks for the congrats  btw :)

Nick Brown

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:10:08 AM »

The coils don't remain close enough to touch. But I've been through this a few times on the other post and don't really want to bore every-one else again ::)
I've got a blow torch coming in any day now from FT. I'm hoping that will do it ;D
Thanks for asking.

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »

I had that problem until I got some thicker wire...

Nick Brown

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »

I had better results with 0.5 but I find it takes too long to heat up, so it seemed worse. I'm still trying with 0.3 but my 0.4 disappeared probably into the bowls of the boat!
Am I being too picky?

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »

probably, yes ... each or any one of them will do the job

Nick Brown

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »

Yeah well, maybe I'll go back to 0.5 then

buzbybarz

• Provari, Vamo, DiD, 2 Spheroids, KFL,VTR,KFL Clone
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »

I assume .2mm wouldn't be any good for making microcoils then. I have two dripping attys coming from fasttech and would like to try these coils. I have been stuck now ( 2 years ) with the normal coils. and want to move on a little.  :D

spyder

• Airholes are just pilot holes. Get ya drill out!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »

I assume .2mm wouldn't be any good for making microcoils then. I have two dripping attys coming from fasttech and would like to try these coils. I have been stuck now ( 2 years ) with the normal coils. and want to move on a little.  :D

Your .2 mm wire will work but you'd have to make fewer wraps unless you want a higher res. I think thicker wires better  because you can make more wraps which gives more surface area of wire to heat up and create vapour. When working with thinner wire I find the pinching can throw the coils out of alignment which makes getting your cotton through tricky. If you only have .20mm wire have you thought about twisting 2 strands together then wrapping your coil?

The coils don't remain close enough to touch. But I've been through this a few times on the other post and don't really want to bore every-one else again ::)
I've got a blow torch coming in any day now from FT. I'm hoping that will do it ;D
Thanks for asking.

We're not bored Nick, just waiting to see your "I cracked the micro coil" post.

The blowtorch will certainly help. Hold the coil in tweezers and zap it and pinch, hold until cooled, rinse and repeat a couple of times. Zapping the wire prior to wrapping will take out some springiness and also help. Without a blowtorch you can mount the coil and fire it up then cut the power and pinch but be careful of creating shorts obviously. I usually work this way making up a coil I'm familiar with. When trying new coil builds I generally torch.

I've found 30 & 28 gauge the best so far. I think that's .25 and .30. I have some 27 gauge too but waiting for my trident clone before trying that out. The trident I believe has nice wide slots which makes mounting heavier gauge coils a breeze. I'll also be trying the tinman with .8 ribbon on that dripper.

buzbybarz

• Provari, Vamo, DiD, 2 Spheroids, KFL,VTR,KFL Clone
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »

Thanks spider I will give that a go when I get my drippers. I will also get some .3mm wire as well
Ta :D

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
This seems a bit late now (typical) (micro coils and gennys)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »

Now that I have finally gotten 28g kanthal I decided to give a micro coil a try again on the Pure. Set mine up directly on the wick with a paper clip down through the center for stability, put it all in place, got it glowing several times and then squeezed the coils together each time with tweezers. Now it all glows even and is performing very impressively ;D

Note: best set up yet on the pure, it's rumbling away perfectly .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:17:19 PM by Capt12B »

komg

• true story bro!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »

Having experimented with microcoils on my gennies a lot I have now settled on 28 gage wire microcoil with a cotton wick, as some describe the auto dripper. Flavour/vapour are superior imo, and easy to maintain - pull the wick out, burn the coil red hot, insert new wick and saturate it - pulls the juice from the tank nicely. So def recommend trying!

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »

I initially planned on doing a cotton wick this time but in the middle of the build I went back to my mesh. I have tried cotton in my RDAs and it fine but still I tend to use the ceramic wick I have stocked.  With the gennys I just love the mesh. In my past builds with 32g the coils always sprung apart and had crazy high ohms, with the 28g it was a piece of cake :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up