Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wick Material Safty  (Read 2287 times)

RebelPants

• From Each According to Their Abilty
Wick Material Safty
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:37:13 AM »

SURE this has been explored at length...
But I thought the move to MESH was to avoid potential fibres effecting lungs?
Now that I have successfully used cotton wool for wicking, I am impressed with
its price, availability and wicking ability. Should we fear cotton fibres when vaping?
Thanks,
Reb  8) 

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
Re: Wick Material Safty
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:35 AM »

Byssinosis, also called "brown lung disease" or "Monday fever", is an occupational lung disease caused by exposure to cotton dust in inadequately ventilated working environments.[1] Byssinosis commonly occurs in workers who are employed in yarn and fabric manufacture industries. It is now thought that the cotton dust directly causes the disease and some believe that the causative agents are endotoxins that come from the cell walls of gram negative bacteria that grow on the cotton. Although bacterial endotoxin is a likely cause, the absence of similar symptoms in workers in other industries exposed to endotoxins makes this uncertain.[2]

Of the 81 byssinosis-related fatalities reported in the United States between 1990 and 1999, 48% included an occupation in the yarn, thread, and fabric industry on the victim's death certificate.[3] This disease often occurred in the times of the industrial revolution. Most commonly young girls working in mills or other textile factories would be afflicted with this disease. In the United States, from 1996 to 2005, North Carolina accounted for about 37% of all deaths caused byssinosis, with 31, followed by South Carolina ( and Georgia (7).[4]
The term "brown lung" is a misnomer, as the lungs of affected individuals are not brown

Symptoms
Breathing difficulties
Chest tightness
Wheezing
Cough

Brown lung can ultimately result in narrowing of the airways, lung scarring and death from infection or respiratory failure.

Breathing in the dust produced by raw cotton can cause byssinosis. It is most common in people who work in the textile industry.

Those who are sensitive to the dust can have an asthma-like condition after being exposed.

Methods of prevention in the U.S. have reduced the number of cases, but byssinosis is still common in developing countries. Smoking increases the risk for this disease. Being exposed to the dust many times can lead to chronic lung disease and shortness of breath or wheezing.

ok after all this is said we are not using raw cotton, we don't work in fabric manufacture industries, the cotton is wet 100% of the time with no risk from dust. i think you will be fine Rebel
this info would not keep me from using cotton wick in my e-cigs
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:24:33 AM by Rocc »

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »

Nice find Rocc...I would not be put off with using cotton...But of course its my personal choice....  ;D

RebelPants

• From Each According to Their Abilty
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »

Thanks Rocc m8.
I have been reading this thread AT LENGTH(nearly 500 pages) which has some further opinions and info:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up