Author Topic: My E-Cig Torch Mod  (Read 12652 times)

Offline laid_in

Re: My E-Cig Torch Mod
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »
Evening Dereck, wouldn't mind learning more about that 6mm tactile switch, if not for this torch mod for the next one maybe. Got any more info pls? Good luck with the copper circuit board idea. It certainly sounds very do-able.

Just a quick update for those that have a pound land store nearby. Not only do they sell this type of torch but I discovered yesterday that they also sell a nifty epoxy resin tube that distributes the right level of adhesive & thinner as you press the plunger. They've even got the hole cutting drill bit. You don't need very much else to make one of these mods. [btw no I don't have shares in poundland. Its ideal when you aren't loaded with coffers though!]

Hope this helps inspire. Brian.

Offline ZxIRAX

• ZxIRAX.com
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
Nice job Brian,

it looks well, like a torch but it's a pretty awesome mod :)

-Jay

Offline laid_in

My E-Cig Torch Mod
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »
There's a good reason for that Jay. Lol.

I'm in the middle of making another mod at the moment. Watch this space! Brian.

Offline ZxIRAX

• ZxIRAX.com
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
You gave me a few ideas actually as a standard sized torch uses AA batts. The 14500 batt is exactly the same size as a standard AA and is used in the little gem so should be a good batt to use :) I already have my eye on an aluminium torch I might break to have a go at my own mod :)

I was thinking of using 2x 14500, but they are 3.7v each (7.4v overal) - using a 901 atty. I did a quick google search and found the following formula to determine power output, which is pretty useful:

P = (V / R) * V

So at 7.4V with a 5.2 ohm atty you would get (7.4/5.2)*7.4 = 10.5 watts of power

A 3.7V device with a regular 510 atty (2.3 ohm) would give you 6 watts of power.

An eGo (3.1V) with a regular atty only gives 4.2W of power.

So for 7.4V I would need to use an atomizer with 5+ ohms of resistance. My question is which combination would result in the greatest life expectency for an atty?

I found a heat produced (watts) for commonly available atomizer / battery combinations: 

-Jay

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »

Offline laid_in

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »
Hi mate. From what I have picked up over the months of vaping & reading people's posts I have concluded that the life expectancy of an atomiser to be far less scientific and more down to how you use them.

It seems that  you get a build up of gunk around the nichrome element after a while which reduces performance and contributes to atomiser failure. So your mix of liquid is one variable.

Then everyone vapes differently so you have length of time the atty is hot and frequency between button presses along with how often its used. With all that taken into account its no wonder why any reputable vendor has a disclaimer over atomiser life for the warranty.

It seems everyone has their favoured atomiser type and desired voltage and that choice often changes the longer you vape for. I'd advise finding your current sweet spot & checking out how to recycle the element when it blows. The only recyclable one I've found so far is the bulli smoker a1 atomiser from Germany.

Wouldn't it be a mini revolution if someone came out with a recyclable design that anyone can repair and that fits in any or all of the common atomiser screw threads? Now that combination would result in the greatest life expectancy of an atomiser. - [and I'd buy some!]

Brian.

Offline supermac

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
nice job brian!  :D

very nice mod would like to try one of these myself some time