Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Rebuildable AGA-T2. Got a working coil but.....  (Read 6876 times)

spyder

• Airholes are just pilot holes. Get ya drill out!
1st Rebuildable AGA-T2. Got a working coil but.....
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »

Hi guys. As the thread title says, I've just received my first rebuildable from LF. I didn't use the supplied wire and mesh but ordered some supplies from the vape mesh company. Delighted with my free sheet of mesh although it wasn't marked I presume it's the same 400 that I ordered. It looks the same.  ;D

After 3 attempts I have a working coil that reads 1.3-1.4 ohms on my vamo. I tried the pulse method but with only my Vamo and Ego batteries that was a total failure. After 2 blowouts I decided to go with oxidizing. Only problem there is, I don't have a blowtorch as yet so, (don't laugh), I had to use a lighter to zap the coil end of the wick.  :o We got somewhere in the end.

Finally, I have a working coil of 4 wraps of .25 kanthal. It's now fluctuating between 1.5 & 1.7 ohms after a little use. I presume this could be down to my poor oxidizing method.

So my questions.

1. I tend to enjoy LR Boge's in tanks @ around 4.0-4.4v but don't enjoy the hassle of punching and refilling them.

How would I be able to get closer to the 2-2.2 ohm range? I have .20 and .25 Kanthal. Is it more wraps? Do I need thicker wire or is it thinner?

2. I used 400 mesh and think it's wicking to well with a 75/25 PG/VG. I get a lot of popping and a rather quick build up of moisture inside the cap and around the wick and coil. I noticed the liquid in the tank goes down at an alarming rate but vapor production is quite low.

Do these home brew coils take a while to work to their full potential?

I've been vaping whilst I've been making this post over the last half an hour, (at work) and finding vapor is picking up a bit. It could be down to using a new flavour, DV Lime Zinger that I've mixed up this morning so I can't really compare it to anything else although I am using my usual stock base. I forgot to bring my daily vape bottle with me.

Cheers in advance for any assistance offered from the coil wrapping gods.  ;)

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
Re: 1st Rebuildable AGA-T2. Got a working coil but.....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »

Glad youre enjoying your AGA, once setup it is a good little atty to be honest.

1) You'd need thinner wire to up the resistance, or more turns/coils of your current wire to increase the resistance. Although lowering the voltage down would equate to the same power output as your LR Boges...(hope that makes sense!)

2) The wick/coil will improve with use, i tend to give mine a day or 2 to get upto speed really :) its more the wick that improves rather than the coils, but could be wrong.

You will notice you use a lot more liquid with gennies/home built devices since you tend to get a better vape, which insidentally uses more liquid! :)

Dont flap about it like most people do, if it works, it works, enjoy the vape! :)

spyder

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »

Cheers Eddy.

I'm finding it's improving as it goes. It wasn't producing a full smooth mellow vape, more of a thin harsh vape if that makes sense.

Will order some thinner wire for future playing. I understand lower resistance is similar to higher voltage vaping on regular 3.3v Ego batteries. I've had to drop to around 3.3-3.5v for now on this one. Also noticed a slight head buzz I've not felt since I first tried 36mg menthol in the old screwdriver. Maybe I'll have to cut down to 9mg instead of my regular 18mg for use in this one.

I've had it sitting on my desk with the cap off, cleaned up the top deck with some tissue and within 10 minutes I have a puddle of liquid around the wick. That's ok, I guess I'll be going to around 40/50% VG for use in these setups.  ;D

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »

It could be a case of being vaporized a little more efficiently resulting in a better delivery of Nic (again maybe wrong), OR the fact you maybe vaping it more lol...

Either way, if you are getting a harsh/thin vapour it could be a hotspot perhaps, or a dry hit, i went to 50/50 when i started using a genny, just for the fact that i like a bit more vapor! :) Gennys tend to give a smoother vape anyway, so to get a harsher vape id say its coil/wick related. Takes a bit of fiddling, but so worth it once setup right and it becomes an easy job to do, takes me 2 mins now to re-coil, bit longer if i have to wick it up to, but nothing major!

spyder

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »

It could be a case of being vaporized a little more efficiently resulting in a better delivery of Nic (again maybe wrong), OR the fact you maybe vaping it more lol...

i went to 50/50 when i started using a genny, just for the fact that i like a bit more vapor! :)

I think it is vapourizing the nic a bit more efficiently and that maybe contributing to the harshness although the thickness and production of vapour is nowhere near my favourite setup as mentioned above.

There's something so satisfying about huge clouds of thick smooth, full of flavour vapour.

I will be sticking at it and plan to purchase a couple more once I manage to get to grip with things. Just been watching the cig paper technique video. Something so simple makes a fiddly job so much easier. After taking a quick snap of it, I can see I could have spaced it out just a little better.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:40:15 PM by spyder »

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »

Get 2 small washers and put them on the centre post, this will help with dog legs/hot spots on the coils as the distance of the wick -> center post can cause that problem.

I use 2 coils of 0.3x0.1 ribbon kanthal (3 coils of each) resulting in a resistance of 1-1.2ohm, a nice thick wick (hollow) and 50/50 liquid @ 24mg, results in a great vape, for me anyway, loads of flavour, loads of vapor. Taken a while to perfect this setup for me, its a very personal thing and everyone will have their own methods of doing it, it really is a lot of trial and error, oh and make sure you wick is nicely oxidised, i just oxidise it all as i found the "pulse" method a real nightmare and just didnt work for me, but for others its perfect! I cook mine over a gas cooker hob, takes 30seconds and oxidises it all very well. I cook it till its red hot and leave it there for a good 5-10seconds, then remove it, quench it and its job done, pop it in, coil it, rarely a hot spot, and if there is quick nudge around and its ready to rock and or roll! :)

spyder

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 01:02:30 PM »

I was thinking about ordering the ribbon too but thought the 2 sizes of wire would be enough to get me started. I've seen and read about the washer trick, I'll have to keep my eye out for something suitable.

I may order another T2 soon so I have 1 to vape and 1 to experiment with. I will find the perfect setup for me although it may take some time.

Cheers.

Edit. Got home and been oxidizing on the gas cooker. Used the cig paper technique, 5 wraps of .20 and got a steady 2.9 ohms, just a little over my target.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:45:52 PM by spyder »

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »

I'm finding it's improving as it goes. It wasn't producing a full smooth mellow vape, more of a thin harsh vape if that makes sense

this is from a hotspot in your coil. take the juice out of your tank and fire the coil till it glows to see if a hotspot is there. a hotspot can move up and down the coil and even more so when your new to making them up.

here a few pics of my coil on my aga t2

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »

sorry i should have gave more info on the coil that is 8 wraps of .32 kanthal called a micro coil.

spyder

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »

Cheers Rocc.

I'm getting there slowly. As my edit above, I've reset up and since then I have removed 1 coil so 4 wraps of .20 is giving me 1.9-2.2 ohms. Working well at around the 4v mark. It's only my first day of oxidizing and wrapping so I'm happy with my progress, thanks to many videos and advice posted here. With a bit more practice I'll have it nailed.

I got some silica wick too so will have a bash at working on some old vivi nova heads and ce4's. I got one of those cheap octopuss drippers to play with too. Right off to Google to see if the ego รง atties can be reworked. I like these for testing new flavours and stealthing at work.

Cheers

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »

micro coil should work well on a vivi nova good to hear you got it all sorted out mate ;D

spyder

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

Had a little harsh hit off it this morning, noticed a hot spot near the bottom. Wire is not quite making contact with wick due to me undoing top connection and removing 1 coil I presume. I kinda un sprung a little. Will make a new coil today now I know 4 wraps of .20 is getting me where I want to be. It's certainly an improvement on my first effort.

I can see the potential in these devices now so will have order a few more.  ;D

Not got around to re working the small bits as yet.

Edit. To avoid breaking forum double posting rules.

I recoiled this again today after blowing the coil last night trying to wiggle out the hotspots. Been vaping good all day, kinda smooth vape not too harsh on the throat hit. Can feel the 18mg strength though. I'm finding the flavour just slightly muted compared to the same juice in an Ego-C setup. Once I've finished my Black Magic juice, and that wont take long, I'll flush it and load it up with some DV Absinthe I've got mixed up. Green juice is gonna look good in that little tank. :)

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys and the vids that were also sent via pm. I got a few different tips from them all. Looking forward to playing with the 2 different rebuildables I'll have from FT maybe next month.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:43:02 PM by spyder »

spyder

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »

OK so I had wicking problems and didn't want to start a new thread.

Had another bash over the gas cooker tonight. Finally arrived at 2.1ohms after 3 failed coils, (too low res) and the new wick seems to be wicking well. Currently enjoying some home brew TW GS Real Tabs @ 18mg 75/25 in it. Wicking well and tasting great.

I think I get it now.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up