Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: RBA resistance - Segelei 19b -v- Vamo: the "diz fix" really  (Read 11168 times)

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma

Anyone got any tips on what I might be doing wrong here?

I made a new coil (Kanthal 0.2, and 400 ss mesh) for my AGA T2 and it ended up being 5 coils around the wick. It works on both the s19b and the vamo but on the vamo I'm getting a much better bite off it - better hit with much more vapour. It's like on the segelei it hasn't got the power to put through it or something. The resistance as measured on the Vamo is 2.5

Am I right in thinking that the resistance is too high for the segelei? And to lower it would I have been better doing say 3 coils instead do you think so it would work better on the segelei?

Thanks for any suggestions
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:19:57 PM by ilegal »

justin case

• FISH!
  • Diamond Member
  • Strong In Body. Strong In Mind. And A Scum Lord.
Re: Trying to understand RBA resistance - Segelei 19b -v- Vamo
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »

Anyone got any tips on what I might be doing wrong here?

I made a new coil (Kanthal 0.2, and 400 ss mesh) for my AGA T2 and it ended up being 5 coils around the wick. It works on both the s19b and the vamo but on the vamo I'm getting a much better bite off it - better hit with much more vapour. It's like on the segelei it hasn't got the power to put through it or something. The resistance as measured on the Vamo is 2.5

Am I right in thinking that the resistance is too high for the segelei? And to lower it would I have been better doing say 3 coils instead do you think so it would work better on the segelei?

Thanks for any suggestions

lol you just answered your own question.....plus the vamo is vv.

igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:59:34 PM »

The Vamo will output at whatever wattage you have it set to so the resistance won't really matter, but the 19b will be outputting at whatever charge level is left in the battery.......as your 19b battery depletes the performance will reduce too

Mechanical mods will perform better with a lower resistance coil......electrical mods will be the opposite :)

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »

Cheers guys, that makes sense now! I'll try a lower resistance then next time for the mechanical mod

Much appreciated  ;D

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

I have the Sigelei 19A  which has the same magnet in the switch as the B and I think that the magnet effects the conductivity through the mod because when I use my other mechanical mods I get a much better hit with the same atty and the same battery if I swap them over. I'm going to remove the magnet an tap a hole in the bottom post so I can screw a brass bolt instead which hopefully will correct this

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

thanks jimmy, I was thinking of replacing the whole firing pin as the drilling etc sounds hard work. The word is that Gary at Celtic Vapes is going to be putting 100 solid brass firing pins up for sale - in place of the magnet, there's a little brass nipple - basically the body of the button just extended a bit. Hang on, I'll try find a pic..

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »

Here you go, have a look at the pin and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.tinyuploads.com/images/pTP880.jpg

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »

But yeah, if you've got a brass screw and a tap and die it would do the same job! It'll prob be cheaper for me buying the piece than a tap and die tho :)

RebelPants

• From Each According to Their Abilty
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »

Have you tried just using a lower res coil? Assuming you are still concerned about the lack of kick.
Think the point of the Mech Mods is that when you get used to making your own coils
you can virtually predict the output you will get from the atty you build.
Although, there are others far more experienced than me regarding such matters.
Goodluck,
Reb  8)

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »

Have you tried just using a lower res coil? Assuming you are still concerned about the lack of kick.
Think the point of the Mech Mods is that when you get used to making your own coils
you can virtually predict the output you will get from the atty you build.
Although, there are others far more experienced than me regarding such matters.
Goodluck,
Reb  8)

Yep, that was my prob with the latest coil Reb - too high res. Using it on the Vamo at min and will try a lower res one for next time for the S19 (only one RBA at the mo lol). I think Jimmy's saying he only gets the duff hit on the Segelei but not on other mech mods, which might mean it's connectivity or whatever

diz

• Black or Grey
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »

I have my own theory about the 19b switch:

I don't think the magnet is the source of the problem with misfires on this switch. I think the switch will contact fine with a battery and be able to pass sufficient current through the ferrous material. I think the issue is with how the button in the switch connects to the body of the mod. The spring that connects to the button is insulated by the plastic washer. The button is also insulated from the body by this plastic washer. So the only way the button can connect electrically and pass current to the body of the mod is via the outer edge of the button.

This edge of the button would touch the inner edge of the locking ring to pass current within the switch. There is a gap between the button and locking ring (necessary for the button to operate freely and the locking ring to function without unscrewing the button). The pressure applied when pressing the switch is not always a lateral force, so can make for a poor contact between the switch and body of the 19b.

RebelPants

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »

Although I have the 19b, have not used it too much as awaiting imr batts.
Using a vivi nova I am well familiar rebuilding with, I got a good consistent vape.
Over heard some lads in the know in the chat room last night discussing bottom spring in relation
to heat produced if it bends hitting side of tube.
But none mentioned lack of kick or output as a potential prob.
Once you get used to rebuilding you should be fine mate.
Goodluck,
Reb  8)

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »

thanks jimmy, I was thinking of replacing the whole firing pin as the drilling etc sounds hard work. The word is that Gary at Celtic Vapes is going to be putting 100 solid brass firing pins up for sale - in place of the magnet, there's a little brass nipple - basically the body of the button just extended a bit. Hang on, I'll try find a pic..

That's interesting I'd defo buy that instead I've seen that he's got brass sigelei 19's on pre order I've also read a thread on ukvapers about changing the spring to a bb mod spring from I vapour elixir will help as well because the spring makes contact with the body is the mod. I'm just waiting till I order some thing else from there as well tho because I think the postage is a bit steep. About £4 if I remember correctly

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »

I have my own theory about the 19b switch:

I don't think the magnet is the source of the problem with misfires on this switch. I think the switch will contact fine with a battery and be able to pass sufficient current through the ferrous material. I think the issue is with how the button in the switch connects to the body of the mod. The spring that connects to the button is insulated by the plastic washer. The button is also insulated from the body by this plastic washer. So the only way the button can connect electrically and pass current to the body of the mod is via the outer edge of the button.

This edge of the button would touch the inner edge of the locking ring to pass current within the switch. There is a gap between the button and locking ring (necessary for the button to operate freely and the locking ring to function without unscrewing the button). The pressure applied when pressing the switch is not always a lateral force, so can make for a poor contact between the switch and body of the 19b.

I always like your insight diz. That seems to make sense to me and I'll try comparisons later this week when my brass segelei arrives. One thing I'd say is that I was getting cheesed off with my 19b mis-firing, button falling out or unscrewing with the mechanism, lock cap not screwing all the way up etc so I took it apart (again!) and then cleaned all the threads out properly. There was loads of black whatever it was, like grease or something. Now I've done that it locks and unlocks perfectly, fires much better etc

And here's a think I've NEVER noticed before until looking after your post, if you turn your lights pretty much off and fire the switch centrally in the dark I can see little sparks or flashes jumping between the button and the body! Holy smoke! When you're pushing it laterally, and it's connected to the body it's perfectly fine. Diz, I think you've sussed this mate, honestly

RebelPants

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »

I just did the same test....
Dark room, unprotected batt(all I have), fired every time using 18650 fired with little finger
without any problems. I saw no sparks. I noticed no heating probs either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up