Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a mod....a learning curve  (Read 30984 times)

Mev

• Spanking-D-Monkey
Re: Making a mod....a learning curve
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

I do prefer HSS myself as I have the means to grind them myself and sharpen them, I don't have the tools to grind carbon tips so if they chip or blunt they're done for me. I do think you get a better finish with HSS and a slight radius to the cutter too.

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »

In the future i think Im going to invest in some HSS more so for the finish. Ive only had carbide inserts and never used HSS other than on my parting tool, which i have to be honest, i struggle with a bit, not sure if its technique, my machine or my tool. People says parting off is a bit of a "black art"....comes with practice i guess.

So, ive just spent a few hours making a "button" for my bottom cap.

Turned out great, i turned it with the face of the button out so i could get a nice finish on it with the stem running back to the chuck (see image).

Problem 1 > Stem isnt long enough, user error my fault.
Problem 2 > Parted off, let a "nub" as the parting tool wasnt central (user error) so tried to take this off by putting the part back in the chuck which only led to it coming out. Stupid, wont do it again*.
Problem 3 > Recess in bottom cap isnt deep enough to take a good length of travel for button, so either a) Will remake that part or b) machine the part out a bit more.

I guess once i have everything right, repeating the process will be easy, my drawings didnt work out to well other than general dimensions and ideas, but a lot has changed as ive gone on making various bits and pieces, it just keeps getting more and more complex! LOL but making easy piece is getting easier and easier now im getting comfy with it all :) *this does not mean i get the parts right though!*

Also made a brass drip tip for a change of pace, which works great, bit of a VERY snug fit on my tank but works well :) Also added a picture of the man den, could do with being "spruced up a bit" needs a feminine touch i think, ill get the Mrs to go in there at some point! lol

Mev

• Spanking-D-Monkey
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »

Mate it's looking really good so far, as you say it'll get easy with practice.

With parting tools the thing I learnt first is have your tool as short as possible in the tool post, I know this applies to all cutters really but i've found with my lathe and tools it works a damn sight better the shorter I can make it for parting off.
I've found there's a sweet spot too with the speed, work out your speeds for the metal you're using as normal but with my variable speed lathe I've found slight adjustments in the speed can make a big difference from the stated speeds.

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »

Excellent thanks Mev, ill be sure to try that, i tend to have my parting tool out a fair bit, which i know i shouldnt really so will deffinately be giving it a go! :) Also ill try a few different speeds, ive heard that slower = better, but i worry that my motor wont have the torque to keep up and part it off, hence the faster speeds, i usually turn about 6-700rpm which is a good speed for Ally/Brass ive found *checked Gradstudent and for 1" Ally its 700rpm* so not far off :) it just feels right.

Anyways, moving on! Managed to turn out the recess for the button without problem, now works a treat and have plenty of travel for the button itself, also made a delrin/acetol insulator ring for the button, just waiting for an m8x1.25 die to arrive (which i just ordered) so i can cut the thread for the insulator. (image below).

Started on the top cap, and i have to be honest its started out 100x better than the bottom cap finished, so, in reality i can see that bottom cap being re-done lol. Ive only turned the OD and started the thread section ready for a thread cut (again, awaiting a die for this). But all in all, very pleased so far, learnt from lots of mistakes and feel ill remember these when i come to do it "for real" :)

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »

all i can say about this is Wow.

274—Nano Bee, "World’s Smallest Diesel Engine," built by Chris Hans Valentine and Ronald Valentine, FL, 2011
Ronald Valentine’s goal is to build the smallest operational diesel engine in the world. His Nano Bee measures merely 7/8 of an inch long with a bore and stroke of only 2mm adding up to a total displacement of only .006cc or .00037 cu in. Under Ron’s guidance Chris Valentine exhibited great skill in his machining techniques as he produced this Nano Bee. He machined it completely from aluminum and steel bar stock with some tolerances held to one ten-thousandth of an inch (1/10,000" or 0.0001"). The engine will spin a 1-1/4 x 1 inch aluminum propeller up to 12,800 revolutions per minute.     
Courtesy of Chris Hans Valentine, Ronald Valentine

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »

Thats just crazy, just youtubed it, and you can see some running videos of small V8-V12 engines (not sure if they're the same one(s)) but still, an engineering feat to admire! I can only imagine how long and how much patience that would take to keep those sort of tolerances! :)

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »

Spent the day working on the top cap, made an insulation ring for where the batter meets the cap and recessed this for a nicer finish. Made a hole in the middle and a brass "pin" for the contact. Fits nice and snug im happy to say, and the more i look at the bottom cap, the less happy i am with it, think i will redo it with a bit more time/effort/patience put into it! :)

Awaiting an M7x0.5 tap (please correct me if im wrong but thats the size for a 510 connector right?! lol) once i get that i can tap the 510 connector :)

Pics!

Mev

• Spanking-D-Monkey
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »

Yes the 510 is M7x0.5 mate...   Personally I thread the cap right through then thread the insulator too.

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »

Excellent thanks Mev! Thought i may have wasted a few quid then so had to check! :)

Right, one very nearly finished Top cap! :) Gave it a quick once over whilst on the lathe with some 1200grit W&D and came up quite nice, cant wait to get a bench polisher and some polish on it! :)

The Fozzy ring got made twice as the 1st one was way too loose and wasnt happy with it. Im surprised at how long its taking to be honest, i thought it was going to be a quick job! But, by hand its all the finer details that make the piece :)

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »

Managed to get everything screwed together, at least the 2 caps + body.

Managed to get a few dings in it along the way, so a bit pissed about that really, but hey ho, its my first go.....so got myself a small polishing wheel and some polish and gave it a quick spin, came up ok for a first go i think :)

Just waiting on a few more taps/dies and ill get it together, if it works, i get to remake it all over again and make sure i dont ding it! :)

Im happy with it though i have to be honest!

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

Very pretty Ed.

ukric

• Platinum Member
  • Chasing Da Clouds
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

Ooooh

ukric

• Platinum Member
  • Chasing Da Clouds
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

How much do you reckon it's cost you to make?

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 04:40:04 PM »

thanks guys :) i take the ooooh as a compliment lol

Cost wise, hmm a lot....lol over £1000 so far i think (thats with lathe/tools and materials)

BUT....lathe/tools aside, material wise, its cost me about £27, but, if i was good and didnt waste as much as i have, it would be half that at least, so pretty cheap in materials, time wise, now im a little more confident, i could knock this up in a day tops :)

Few more pics of the other end now it has a matching ring and a button (which isnt finished, but i like to keep things updated) :)

The more i look at it, the more i want to do with it, lol im a bit dissapointed with the overall outcome, the design and the way its put together works well IMO, but the finish, ie. the knocks/bangs/dings and scratches im not pleased with (obviously) so i think once i finish this one, it'll be onto another version that i wrap in bubble wrap for the whole process! LOL :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:41:42 PM by eddy-r3 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up