Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a mod....a learning curve  (Read 30083 times)

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
Re: Making a mod....a learning curve
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies :) Ill get some more pics up as soon as i progress a little more, i made a bottom button, but hate it lol so errr, yeah like i said, this is all a learning curve, i had some dimensions to work from, but thats it, as for design, im making as i go really! So this is a great excercise to see a) what works and b) what looks good.

I wanted something simple, clean, a mix of black/brass, so yeah, we'll see how that pans out!

I have a few bottom button mechanical mods, and the one thing ive noticed is a wobbly bottom button, lol so thats 1 thing i want to avoid, and also, the travel on the buttom, for example i have a cube and the travel on the button to get it to fire is crazy (albeit im using flat top 18350's but even with a button top its still quite a press!)

Also noticed that with "wind out" buttons, they tend to have lots of movement on the stem, so again, something ill try and address. Basically i think the whole idea came from wanting something that is tailored to me...which would have cost me the same in labour as it has to buy my own stuff and make a hobby out of it :)

PS > Edit > Ive got a night planned watching videos now!

DirkDampf

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »

When you turn the first side grip the bar in hard jaws. When you turn the second side of you tube grip in soft jaws and bore these out to the turned diameter of your tube before. This won't crush or mark it.

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

Bit of an update, i scrapped the original idea of an 18350 and opted for a 14500 mod instead, mainly due to taps/threads and having a "smaller/thinner" mod than an 18350.

Anyway, attached are some images, im using phosphor bronze instead of brass, just due to machining ability, finish and durability as opposed to brass. Plus, on a side note, it was free! :) Even better.

Anyway, ive managed to machine the main tube body, bottom cap plus a decorative ring, images below. Being honest, its hard, but really enjoyable and a bigger challenge than i thought it would be! But i like to think im getting there now and starting to "see" something coming together, waiting for some taps/dies to arrive which should be here Monday, at which point i can start putting things together and move onto making the "button" mechanism itself!

LESSON LEARNT - Dont rush, cutting 0.1mm over will ruin a snug finish and mean starting the piece again. Took 3 attempts to learn this, and on the 3rd attempt i was furious, and losing patience, so it was a case of spending a LONG time, slowly but surely turning the inner diameter down, .08mm (0.003" for the "old school") at a time! (took a while but got the fit i wanted eventually!)

Mev

• Spanking-D-Monkey
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:59 AM »

looking good mate, fozzy finishes really well and nice to work with and it polishes up very well, as a bonus it's a good electrical conductor too. I've recently been making some top caps and bottom caps using it.
 As for taking off too much material, it's best to work down the amount, so lets say you had 1.0mm to take off do it in 3 passes, 0.6 on the first then 0.3 leaving the small 0.1 finish cut, double checking your measurements as you do. These measurements are just for arguments sake but I think you know what i mean.

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »

eddy what lathe is that?

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »

Its a model makers lathe (classed as a bench top as opposed to a "mini") i got it from Amadeal in London, AMA210VG is the model number. For what its worth, not having used many lathes, it performs pretty well, dont get me wrong its nothing compared to a big machine, but does the job and is pretty accurate (for what i need anyway)

Mev thanks for the tips, im learning slowly and finding that this time round (attempt #2) its a lot easier and my finishing is a lot better. Fozzy bronze is nice and does finish a lot nicer than brass IMO, cant wait to get it all polished up!

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »

maybe look into getting a 5C Collet Kit they cost alot but they hold stuff without digging into to it or marking the parts up. and you can set a stop at the back of the collet for repeat cuts.

Rocc

• The best tea is cold
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 07:39:07 AM »

i googled that lathe very nice indeed mate. i got a smithy Midas 1220 LTD 3-in-1 not long ago but im still working on getting the shop done before i can set it up. i hope to have it done before next weekend so i can start making my atomizer.

DirkDampf

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »

Thats good work for a start eddy. Start slowly and it will get better and better. Soon you will be able to cut threads in SS  with a turning tool. Its a loooong learning curve. I've been doing this for 27 years and I'm still learning.

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys, will be looking into gettin a collet chuck asap (as soon as funds allow)

In the meantime, ill concentrate on honing some skills lol its thread cutting that im a little aprehensive of to be fair! :) But, i guess its a skill that is needed when making mods and such! :)

DirkDampf

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 09:42:31 AM »

What turning tools do you turn with eddy ? Do you use tools with changeable inserts or do you grind your turning tools ?

ilegal

• Five coils to Yuma
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »

Blown away by this. Really admirable that you've managed to do it. Maybe get it etched after - #0001  :D

eddy-r3

• Web Jazzler
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »

Thankyou! :) Ill be getting it engraved for sure, got a nice logo/brand in mind :)

DirkDampf > At the moment im using insert tools, Carbide tips, now correct me if im wrong, but i read/heard that HSS will give a nicer finish? But i guess it depends what you're turning?

I have a parting tool that i grind myself, but my main turning tools are insert type :)

Mev

• Spanking-D-Monkey
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »

I think you'll love the fozzy once you've polished it mate, I much prefer it over Brass. It comes up like Gold.

DirkDampf

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

It tells you on the package of the inserts what you can turn with it but more importantly it tells you the correct cutting speeds to use for each material. HSS is ok even to cut Titanium with. But you will have to grind HSS tools yourself as they usually come as squre bars.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up