Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My mad scientist experiments into menthol e-liquid  (Read 4612 times)

David

My mad scientist experiments into menthol e-liquid
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »

As I sit here writing this post I am vaping on my proudest success into DIY mixing and I thought it might be beneficial to some if I shared the experience of my experimentation, with those who might be thinking about dipping a toe into DIY.

Since I started vaping I have been on a quest to find my all day vape, but it had to be more than just something I was happy to use, it had to be cost effective and it had to be something I could make myself from base ingredients so I could bypass the powers that be, should they decide to either ban vaping or tax it to exorbitant proportions.
For about a year I had 2 main e-liquids I vaped, one was menthol the other was Fruit Stripe. But try as I might I couldn’t narrow it down beyond that because I found the menthol, at times, to be too much and the fruit stripe at times was just not enough. I also did not want to be beholden to the manufacturers of those pre made e-liquids for various reasons.
I had heard that menthol e-liquid was very easy to make, so this was where I decided I would make my first foray into DIY, but prior to settling on HS premium menthol as my premade vape I had tried many different menthols which I did not find too appealing. This caused me to be somewhat apprehensive about being able to make my own and for it to be as satisfying as my premade, because I suspected and rightly so, that the premade menthol had more to it than just diluted menthol crystals in a mixture of PG and nicotine.
Long story short the menthol I eventually made was not the same as the pre-made, but it did end up being just as satisfying for me and also ended up being the only vape I use now.

So what did I end up buying to make my DIY and how did I go about mixing it?

What I bought....

1ltr of pharmaceutical grade PG
5g of menthol crystals
60ml of 75mg VG/nicotine concentrate
10g of Ethyl Maltol crystals

I also had a 5ml syringe, 100ml measuring cylinder and a number of empty bottles with dropper tops and caps varying in size 10ml, 30ml and 100ml which I had re-purposed from previous e-liquids and bases I had bought.

To begin with I diluted the VG/nicotine concentrate with the pharmaceutical PG to reduce the nicotine to roughly a 12mg concentration (this can be varied according to how much nicotine you prefer in your own e-liquid but bear in mind I was shooting for a final nicotine concentrate of approx 8mg in my finished e-liquid). The reason I used VG/nicotine concentrate was to help with vapour production, from what I have been led to believe PG does not produce as much vapour as VG.
I then crushed the menthol crystals with a pestle and mortar poured them in to a 30ml bottle and filled the rest of the bottle with PG, which meant I ended up with 30ml of PG/menthol concentrate solution.
Next I mixed the Ethyl Maltol crystals with 80ml of PG to create a fully saturated PG/Ethyl Maltol concentrate solution. In order to help the Ethyl Maltol dissolve I used a bowl filled with boiling water from a kettle to heat up the bottle filled with the PG/Ethyl Maltol solution.
At this stage the Ethyl Maltol solution and the menthol solution were too strong to facilitate easy measurement for mixing so I decided to reduce their concentration further with the use of 2x10ml bottles. I filled the 1st with 2ml of my Ethyl Maltol concentrate and topped the rest of the 10ml bottle off with pure PG. I then proceeded to do the same with the 2nd 10ml bottle only this time I used 3ml of my menthol concentrate. For the sake of clear explanation I will refer to these as diluted solutions.
The reason for including Ethyl Maltol in my mixture was to add some sweetness. Ethyl maltol to me has a candy floss smell and to my palate adds a similar taste to mixtures.
To make my final e-liquid I used 1ml of my 10ml Ethyl Maltol diluted solution, 2ml of my 10ml menthol diluted solution and 7ml of my PG/VG 12mg nicotine base to make 10ml of approximately 8mg nicotine sweet tasting menthol e-liquid.
This resultant e-liquid has now ended up being my one and only all day vape, as it has the freshness I wanted from my menthol, but also the sweetness I liked from my fruit stripe.

I hope this has been of some help to those considering venturing into making their own e-liquid, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
Re: My mad scientist experiments into menthol e-liquid
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »

nice informative write-up David and i'm sure others will take great use from it 8) ... pleased too to see you've created a nice alternate vape which you enjoy ... 8)

David

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

nice informative write-up David and i'm sure others will take great use from it 8) ... pleased too to see you've created a nice alternate vape which you enjoy ... 8)

Thank you for your kind words.

TBH I was gobsmacked how well it all turned out and to think I have enough ingredients to make almost 500ml of the stuff for around £30 is amazing to me.

Of course I had done some mixing before using pre-made flavours but I had never gone down as low as using base ingredients for everything. Now I will never look back.

Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

It's fun playing mad scientist , great you created something your loving

ukric

• Platinum Member
  • Chasing Da Clouds
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »

For my own menthol mixing, in order to achieve the same result each time I've just ordered some 0.01 gram scales. Perhaps something to think about to get a consultant result every time without having to make up a full bottle of menthol solution :)

It's good when you find something you like especially if you can replicate it. We're the 5g crystals from boots?

If so, there's a reputable eBay seller who does 50g for not an awful lot more

David

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »

For my own menthol mixing, in order to achieve the same result each time I've just ordered some 0.01 gram scales. Perhaps something to think about to get a consultant result every time without having to make up a full bottle of menthol solution :)

It's good when you find something you like especially if you can replicate it. We're the 5g crystals from boots?

If so, there's a reputable eBay seller who does 50g for not an awful lot more

The crystals were from amazon. I payed £1.75 including delivery which is enough to make me 100ml of diluted menthol PG which I mix at 20% with my base, which gives a total amount of e-liquid I can make per 5g at 500ml. I vape about 20ml of e-liquid a week, so 5g of crystals will do me for approx 6 months of vaping.
On that basis I don't really see the need to buy in 50g lots, but I do appreciate your interest.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:53:04 PM by David »

ukric

• Platinum Member
  • Chasing Da Clouds
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »

Yeah I forget I'm mixing for two now lol

David

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »

Yeah I forget I'm mixing for two now lol

My misses, gave up smoking the same time i did, she vaped with me for about a month, but then gave that up too and now neither smokes or vapes, but she loves the fact I have a hobby that doesn't kill me as fast ^^

Now if only it was legal to get pharmaceutical grade THC!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:13:36 PM by David »

Nick Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »

Yep!! I'll agree wi' tha' last bit!
Pages: [1]   Go Up