Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: housing benefit  (Read 20198 times)

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2013, 08:47:03 PM »

Yeah dont make me put you on the naughty step Jim....  ;D

Just because we may know someone who abuses the system, doesn't mean every ones the same....  :P

Not saying that, all I am saying is that we don't know she wasn't abusing it either.

She was offered a bungalow, but it said she turned it down because it was a five minute walk to the bingo hall, or whatever it said, lol.

The depression is totally different to her housing issue imo, although I appreciate it probably didn't help. She obviously had her problems before.

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »

Yeah dont make me put you on the naughty step Jim....  ;D

Just because we may know someone who abuses the system, doesn't mean every ones the same....  :P

Not saying that, all I am saying is that we don't know she wasn't abusing it either.

She was offered a bungalow, but it said she turned it down because it was a five minute walk to the bingo hall, or whatever it said, lol.

The depression is totally different to her housing issue imo, although I appreciate it probably didn't help. She obviously had her problems before.

Still sad she did what she did though.

..and the lorry driver ain't getting that off with a 2.50 wax and wash.

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
Re: housing benefit
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

Yes, it does sound like she was very depressed....It can be hard to cope with some of the simplest things in life with depression..and so maybe she couldn't see an answer to it all...Being in a bungalow, 30 mins from her family etc. might have put her over the edge....Help of not....Change can be overwhelming for some...

ukric

• Platinum Member
  • Chasing Da Clouds
housing benefit
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »

And on that basis is it the argument that nothing should be changed in case someone might commit suicide?

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »

It's not a pretty sight watching people go under a lorry. Seen it twice in the last month. I've seen the state of the driver when it wasn't his fault. He doesn't care, all he thinks about is the unexpected speed bump. Bottom line, it ain't the governments fault. That was what I was trying to convey anyway. She obviously had terrible issues before hand and was looking for a way out.

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »

No.....I'm just saying that she obviously was very depressed and couldn't handle it......

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

And on that basis is it the argument that nothing should be changed in case someone might commit suicide?

Yeah can see them in Whitehall now.

"**** Cameron, give em their box rooms back. They are dropping like lemmings"

"Oh no clegg, another one did a Daley off beachy head. Get me a camomile"

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

Yeah can see them in Whitehall now.

"**** Cameron, give em their box rooms back. They are dropping like lemmings"

"Oh no clegg, another one did a Daley off beachy head. Get me a camomile"

Bring that bespectacled tosser with the shopper back, we need to learn better swear words.

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

I dont mean  to say everyone who's on benefits or is a pensioner that they shouldn't have to pay,  its not convenient that one person might be living in a 2 or 3 bedroom house on their own and having housing benefit to pay for that house when a family could be living there.......But if someone is genuinely ill and finding it all hard to deal with, does that mean they're not entitled to some sympathy?

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

I dont mean  to say everyone who's on benefits or is a pensioner that they shouldn't have to pay,  its not convenient that one person might be living in a 2 or 3 bedroom house on their own and having housing benefit to pay for that house when a family could be living there.......But if someone is genuinely ill and finding it all hard to deal with, does that mean they're not entitled to some sympathy?

Not sure, but she's certainly got mine, as she felt the need to kill herself.

If someone makes a conscious decision to live off the state and never work, then I have a problem with that. Everything else falls into my sympathy bracket and I'am willing to help.

kondor101

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »

"nothing" is a strong word.

I think the truth is,  "somethings" should not be changed if there is a high possibility it will cause someone to commit suicide when there are alternatives, such as building one bedroom and two bedroom properties,  creating jobs rather than finding ways to terminate employment ect ect.

Dare I throw a question back at you?
Should we value our success on the lack of suicides, or our achievements of libertarianism ideals?

squid

• Platinum Member
  • anything thats cheap
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »

There may be trouble ahead / But while there's music and moonlight (moonlight and music) and love and romance / Let's face the music and dance

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2013, 09:30:35 PM »

"nothing" is a strong word.

I think the truth is,  "somethings" should not be changed if there is a high possibility it will cause someone to commit suicide when there are alternatives, such as building one bedroom and two bedroom properties,  creating jobs rather than finding ways to terminate employment ect ect.

Dare I throw a question back at you?
Should we value our success on the lack of suicides, or our achievements of libertarianism ideals?

I don't like the way the are screwing the poorly paid either tbh. They said they were bringing a benefit cap of 26k did they not? Who here earns 26k? I would bring the cap down to 10 grand. They said they were going to make it more profitable to work. It's only better if you have a post graduate half decent job. That just shows they are out of touch.

This suicide thing is a load of bollocks imo and is just the usual red label way to screw the current government over in the eyes of its readers. I am not a massive fan either but there is no way that woman killed herself solely because she was getting charged another 20 quid a week for her rent. The council wouldn't have kicked her out. She wouldn't have been left with nothing. If she let the arrears run out of control, they wouldn't have done anything. They can't have what you ain't got.

kondor101

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

What they should have done is created a "rent cap".    Lets be honest,  no one on benefits has ever received even close to 26k,  the only reason that there is a claim some do is because some landlords are happy to rip the tax payer off by charging stupid rents and charging it to the gov.  The person on benefits has never seen it that's for sure.

For me it is not a matter of red, or blue politics.  For me it is purely economical.  The wealth of a nation, any nation, requires money to be circulated.  There are a few ways to achieve it,  job creation, and wealth distribution are the obvious ones.  It forces money to circulate.   At the moment the whole idea of the government is based on nothing more than trying to make the poor as poor as possible, while trying to make the rich as rich as possible.

Now, I am not totally against that, but it depends how it is done.   I have seen it done differently,  but it requires money and investment and this government are trying to achieve it without spending anything.  For instance, back in the 80s, in Thatchers day,  if you had been unemployed for a certain amount of time you could go on a "community program".  This was a great idea,  taking people not in training or education and giving them a reason to get up.  In return for going to work, and improving the local area (it involved tidying gardens, building walls, painting living rooms of pensioners ect)  the person would get some extra money in their dole. 

This government, rather than improve the local area,  decided to send them all to poundland and tesco instead!   Thus rather than creating employment, they were actually creating unemployment, because only an idiot would set someone on when a flow of free labour was coming through the door.

Now do not get me wrong,  I like poundland and tesco,  but I doubt they really need charity.  Where as you can probably find someone, or somewhere in your local area that does need charity,  that could really do with some free labour.  The irony of this is I thought that is what Cameron was going on about when he was talking about big society.  And if he had of done it,  maybe the country would not be in a mess.  Maybe a few more people would have a few more quid in there pockets to buy stuff, and maybe tesco and poundland would need more staff to keep up with the demand of people wanting cheap goods.

Things were hard, but there was a path out of it.  A path that some decided to just do the minimum even back then,  but the minimum was helping folks out and seeing old ladies smile at their new, free, garden.  You got to meet people you would not normally meet,  work along side em, it just felt good. Every so often someone would hand in their notice because they had managed to get a proper job.  Me myself, I got a job on the railways through that community program, and earned a lot, and spent a lot.....   and drank a lot :)

My point is,  it does not have to be like this.  I have seen the conservatives do much better.

Jimblob

• Platinum Member
housing benefit
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »

What they should have done is created a "rent cap".    Lets be honest,  no one on benefits has ever received even close to 26k.

TLTR :D

But yeah and the rest. London ain't cheap and when your breeding like rabbits in order to get an extra 24 cans of wife beater a week, it soon adds up.

Where have you been?

It's not just in London either. If their kids can't be arsed to go to school because they are stoned from the night before and they have been too busy twocing cars, they get "diagnosed" with ADHD, then the parents get all kinds of extra disability benefits.

I'am not kidding, 26k is sod all to that lot.

Me and you though, that's a lot. Labour didn't give a toss, the conservatives seem to care a little more but they are going too overboard with the benefits for the high earners.

It's difficult for someone to come up with something for everyone. The can't be arsed attitude will have to take it on the chin.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:31:02 PM by Jimblob »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up