Author Topic: heres one for ya... will it work???  (Read 6230 times)

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
Re: heres one for ya... will it work???
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 02:23:36 AM »
im sorry if you guys thought i was being a total ass but im a newb at this and was curious.

not at all bud ... no-one thought anything of the sort ... both Diz and myself understand your curiosity and so we are happy to offer as much help as we could or can ... unfortunately my knowledge is less than enough to help you complete your query, though i recognise with Diz on hand too and with his additional knowledge and expertise in electronics, you may get much closer toward achieving your objective.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:31:33 AM by itsmeitis »

Offline another_yank

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
It will work.  I just saw a release from ProVape that they're going to be offering a pass-through cap and insert for the Provari and Provari Mini.  It's basically a modified end cap with a RCA connection and fastened to it is a cylindrical housing containing a DC-DC power management board with a cap which makes contact with the positive (+) battery connection inside the Provari's battery tube.  The unit takes the place of the battery and connects directly to an AC-DC converter or 12V DC plug.  I have a VAMO myself and have been thinking this would be a great idea.  In fact, with a relatively short material list and an IC such as this one (for USB connection)  http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LMZ10505EXTTZ%2FNOPB/LMZ10505EXTTZ%2FNOPBCT-ND/2399091 the ProVape design could be duplicated to run in a device such as the VAMO, or even the Gripper with maybe a slightly different rating on the chip.

Here's the Provari passthrough release: http://tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ProVape-Introducing-Pass-Thru.pdf

Very cool indeed.   8)

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »
here too, a much earlier solution ...

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
there is also another option for making any fixed voltage device variable voltage, simply by hooking up to a variable voltage power supply ...

My Community

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

Offline another_yank

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
there is also another option for making any fixed voltage device variable voltage, simply by hooking up to a variable voltage power supply ...

I don't believe so, unless the "fixed" voltage device is unregulated (like the GG).  For the variable voltage supply to be able to reach the atty the only thing between the supply and the 510/whatever connection has to be simply wiring.  And you would have to sodler/somehow connect a potentiometer to the VV supply to adjust it. (unless it has a chip with screwdriver adjustment like on the Kick.)  I'm gonna really dive into this topic and will post whatever I can find on this thread.

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
 ??? i would have though most if not all mechanical mods would work exactly as the GG

Offline another_yank

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
??? i would have though most if not all mechanical mods would work exactly as the GG

yeah, makes sense.  I've been thinking about it from the point of view of a VV/VW device.  Speaking of which, I just checked my tracking info and my spare VAMO end cap is in the mail truck, en route to my house now.  I am gonna use it to make a pass through adapter for my VAMO and will keep updating along the way.  I want it to output 7-8 V with an current limit of no less than 5 A, since the VAMO only performs accurately across all voltage/wattage settings when in dual 18350 mode (6.4-8.4 V input); when having to boost the single battery config its voltage/power curve tends to drop off toward the higher settings.  I would like this pass through to offer full performance since I am thinking of marketing it once the prototype it up and running!  I'll post updates of my endeavor as they develop.

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • lapsus linguae
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
i'm not sure there's much the market left for the higher voltages of times gone by ...

My Community

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »

Offline another_yank

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »
 :( Yer right...  The more I look around the more I'm thinking I'll end up with a single Li-ion output range on the adapter (3.7-4.2 V).  There's an appealing solution available (with plenty of documentation in the vaping world) to buck 12 V down to ~4 V with enough current (up to 6 A) - http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/okr-t6-w12.pdf

I don't reach above 10 W/4.5 V anyway, and there's no noticeable output difference at that range between the single and double battery setup.  I can't wait until my VAMO "grows a tail" too.