Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, check this out. The newcomer's plan to DIY  (Read 4814 times)

sheldonsands

• Vape on my friends.
Ok, check this out. The newcomer's plan to DIY
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »

So i couldn't sleep last night because i couldn't stop thinking about mixing ratios, flavorings, and my new provari thats on the way. Go figure!

My brain has been hijacked by the vapor gods....

ANYWAY, i thought i would share this with someone, just to make sure i am on the right path.

I'm getting into diy mixing. Let me explain the plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plan (I'm in the U.S.)

1. Buy 30ML 100MG VG NIC base (Is it better to have VG nic or PG nic? Does it matter?)
http://www.xtremevaping.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

2. Buy 946ML VG NO NIC base
http://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Vegetable-Kosher-USP-Quart/dp/B004C7MTLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328296189&sr=8-1

3.Buy 946ML PG NO NIC base
http://www.amazon.com/Propylene-Glycol-Food-Grade-Quart/dp/B005PZBRUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328296691&sr=8-1

4. Buy some flavors, haven't decided which ones yet.

5. MIX!!

So to start i would definitely need to tone down that 100MG NIC base. I would start by making a small batch of base, lets say 30ML.

-Mix 15ML VG NIC base with 15ML PG NON NIC base. Comes out to 30ML 50MG VG/PG base

Ok so that's the easy part.

Now i really have no idea if i prefer more VG, PG, or both! So lets make a small batch to try...correct me at any time if i'm messing up!

Lets try 10ML of 30PG/70VG 18MG Methol Tobacco

-Add 72 drops(36%) of the 50MG PG/VG NIC base we just mixed
  -Add 29 drops(15%) of the PG NO NIC base
  -Add 69 drops(34%) of the VG NO NIC base
  -Add 15 drops(7.5%) of Flavoring 1 (tobacco for example, hopefully PG based)
  -Add 15 drops(7.5%) of Flavoring 2 (menthol for example, hopefully PG based)
  -MIX, let sit overnight, and enjoy!! (hopefully!)

Some of the drops have been rounded up/down for ease of use.

In conclusion, some questions i had are:

1. Is it better to have VG nic or PG nic base? Does it matter?
2. What if the flavor is VG based and that throws your PG/VG ratio off. How do you keep your SANITY!!!!????
3. Does it make sense that a 50/50 VG/PG end product is the best, because it's the best of both worlds?
4. How do you add things like "Koolada Cooling" when they say you should use "1 drop per ml of e-liquid?" If you added it to the finished e-liquid, wouldn't it dilute it?

SO this is my plan, please give me any feedback/criticism on ANY thing you see here. Also, any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for reaching the end!

(Link for Koolada Cooling)
http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-supplies-menthol-hot-cold-additives-c-43_51/koolada-cooling-select-size-p-803

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
Re: Ok, check this out. The newcomer's plan to DIY
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

:o   

You use what ratio of each as you find best.........If you like the extra throat hit and your mixes not too sweet, then maybe a 70/30 PG/VG might be something to try out.....The VG will sweeten the mix sightly and give you extra vapour....Also I find it takes the harshness PG can sometimes give with certain flavourings. Kinda smooths it out a bit....

Also its not going to matter much if your flavourings are in either VG or PG if your going to use a mix of them both anyway....I concentrate on a ''there abouts'' ratio if I'm using a tank system or clearomizers, as long as I know its going to be 30% PG or more then they work so much better.......

If its boges or normal atties I dont have to worry about the wicking....So the ''there abouts'' is fine for me and sometimes just make a mix up using just VG liquids...But as long as your happy with it, then thats all that matters... You might make a sample mix up and find you like the VG/PG at 50/50 (Or there abouts)  ;D

The calculators are good for this, and it looks like you've been experimenting already :)

It is, at the end of the day, trial and error. We all have different tastes and what is great for some is gross for others...So try making up small batches first until you get to know your flavourings and your likes....

sheldonsands

• Vape on my friends.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »

:o   

You use what ratio of each as you find best.........If you like the extra throat hit and your mixes not too sweet, then maybe a 70/30 PG/VG might be something to try out.....The VG will sweeten the mix sightly and give you extra vapour....Also I find it takes the harshness PG can sometimes give with certain flavourings. Kinda smooths it out a bit....

Also its not going to matter much if your flavourings are in either VG or PG if your going to use a mix of them both anyway....I concentrate on a ''there abouts'' ratio if I'm using a tank system or clearomizers, as long as I know its going to be 30% PG or more then they work so much better.......

If its boges or normal atties I dont have to worry about the wicking....So the ''there abouts'' is fine for me and sometimes just make a mix up using just VG liquids...But as long as your happy with it, then thats all that matters... You might make a sample mix up and find you like the VG/PG at 50/50 (Or there abouts)  ;D

The calculators are good for this, and it looks like you've been experimenting already :)

It is, at the end of the day, trial and error. We all have different tastes and what is great for some is gross for others...So try making up small batches first until you get to know your flavourings and your likes....

Ok, this is good to know. I'm glad i don't have to worry about the EXACT measurements. Now what if i use a boge with my lil mama tank. I have 100VG pre made juice that i had from before and i plan on punching 2 holes in the boge, think i will have issues?

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »

Nope I have used pretty much 100% VG, minus some of the the flavouring.. Two holes in the boge....Sorted!  :D

sheldonsands

• Vape on my friends.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »

Awesome...you are the best!

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »

Awww thank you... I try..............I'm very trying  :P

Stewrat

• Platinum Member
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

Hi.

Just wanted to add a couple of quick observations from a newbie diy mixer.

The first couple of small batches that I 'created' used 50MG VG base, diluted to approx 20MG nic with VG (i.e. virtually 100% VG), but the result was so thick that it took forever to soak into my boge cartomiser and I am convinced that it clogged up my Tornado tank atomiser.

I now use the 50MG VG nic base (wasn't going to change this after spending about 25 quid on it!) diluted with PG, which gives a nice consistency and good vapour.

One of the main things I have also changed is the steeping mallarky. If I leave my creations for at least 7 days, the flavour is a lot more mellow, 10 days even better. My experience is with tobacco flavours.

Might just be me though.

Good luck.

I am just about to mix up some RY4, Winstone, and a M/boro / Cigar combo that should be ready around Valentines day.

sheldonsands

• Vape on my friends.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »

Yes, i think it is important to have a little PG in there for consistency, otherwise you could dilute it with alcohol?

Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »

Good to see your having a play with the mixing.

I dont steep my flavours, but always notice a difference of a new mix by the next day..I dont steep because I normally only have one 30+ ml bottle going at one time,  I make it up as I use it.. But I have found some mixes to be stronger after I've left them for weeks (My experiments ;D )....Some flavours do improve and some dont change much at all...

Its all down to personal preference.

Happy Mixing  ;D

P.S.........Yes some PG will help thin it out...if you cant use PG, then distilled water or Vodka will do it....Or you can buy http://www.cig-eliquid.co.uk/250ml_DIY_MIXING_VG_liquid_599_vegetable_Aqueous_glycerine/p649230_2981534.aspx   VG with distilled water already added :)

RicAlex

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »

its the same for the dv flavourings i bought. Noticed a flavour appearing after a day, whereas i couldnt taste anything strraight after mixing. At last, my taste buds have returned a little bit  :P

buzbybarz

• Provari, Vamo, DiD, 2 Spheroids, KFL,VTR,KFL Clone
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »

I only use VG, it gives me a load of vape and better flavour. I use vodka to dilute the mix down not only that you can mix yourself a drink at the same time  ;D
With regards to punching the carts I tried that and it didn't work for me. It tends to crush the cart. I saw a vid on this and the guy used a dremel to cut a slot where the hole would be. I don't have a dremel so used a hacksaw. This works very well. I can't find the youtube vid sorry. It is so easy with a hacksaw give it a go.
you must have this calculator , but just in case
http://www.e-cig-reviews.com/eliquid%20calculator.html
another calc is "Easy E-Juice"
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/46912-downloadable-e-juice-recipe-software-app.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up