Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FULL LIST OF SUPPLIER DISCOUNT CODES - CLICK

20% Discount Code Added For WWW.JACVAPOUR.COM - ECR69

15% Discount Code Added For WWW.T-JUICE.COM - ECR69

10% Discount Code Added For WWW.MIRAGECIGARETTES.CO.UK - MC69

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Material query  (Read 2942 times)

Angus

• ECR Fanboy
Material query
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »

Okay, so I know what I need to know about making threads in metal objects, but have no idea where I might procure the objects in mind. I am wondering if anybody knows where I might find brass cylindrical parts, steel cylinders etc in various sizes (such as a size with an interior space which can snugly hold a battery). I'm considering setting up a system to design and create my own mods. I've really gotten interested in engineering and I figure I might as well start a crash course with e-cig mods. Any direction as to parts would be nice. I'm planning on going to a few department stores around LA if nobody here knows of a suitable online source for materials. Thanks in advance peeps!

Angus

• ECR Fanboy
Re: Material query
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »

I forgot to mention that I'm totally happy to buy the parts required for various machining, aside from taking a solid cylinder and making it hollow lol.

tripodbeatz

• YA KNOW WAT I MEAN!!!!!!!
    • pulse net radio
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »

hi angus to make the threads you need a decent die and tap set but for the size that you require  its not going to be cheap

the switches and electrical components are cheap as chips from china worth looking around

you can get the 510 connection from liberty flights i think

you got 2 choices on the tubing you can go to a local plumbing shop and get some threaded tube and end caps in brass with threads in, or a local metal merchants will do you a price on tubing and cut to size this option not cheap

other bits you need is a bench drill with good quality metal drill bits and a gas powered soldering iron saves wire getting in the way

hope this helps but theres  some modders on here that can point you in the right direction

or cheap option is box mod  ask about and you shall receive lol

Angus

• ECR Fanboy
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

Yeah, I've seen prices on die and tap sets and they're around $130+ but if I only buy the stuff I actually need it's looking like it'll cost a lot less...

I suppose I'll have to run around google and then my city to find the right shops to buy metals from. I figure if I can succeed with one mod I may make some more.

I have access to a few bench drills luckily so I don't have to buy one ;D
I'd have never thought to buy a gas-powered soldering iron, but that is a good idea ^^

Wonder if anyone here's got tips for building sexy metal mods...

thescot

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »

If your doing it as a business then you'll have to come up with something new/different to make any decent returns.
Materials and tools are not cheap and some great engineering folks have made most of what ideas are possible already. The precise is only one example to show good craftmanship. If you could make something at half the price then your on a winner. If its an electronic mod you want to make then more shapes and choices are available to mod.
A square mod possibly to save them rolling off the table http://campingshopuk.co.uk/detail/B002XZNS9A
Even something bigger like the helix which are like hens teeth to get hold of
Don't know if square or big can be made into a sexy e-cig but just a few ideas if you want to build something different.

Angus

• ECR Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:43:22 AM »

I wouldn't even think to make a business of it, unless:

1. I found perfect materials for some unique and aesthetic designs (would have to be more than one). This would require thousands of hours and probably dollars through tools and such.
2. Figured out some new combination of current technologies that enhance the experience of vaping
3. Learned how to perfectly replicate a design without flaws.
4. Patented these designs.
5. Created a small business.
6. Went through all the legal crap to make sure I couldn't be sued for some type of stupid stuff that my countrymen are known for.

Lol, probably wont happen. But I still want to get into learning how to make my own favorite look and combination of features, maybe make a few for some friends. And if I win the vaper's lottery and somehow find the perfect conditions to make a business out of my designs, then I'll run with it ^^

For now it's just a concept but I have an aesthetic I'd like to see in PVs which I haven't thus far, so why not through trial and error attempt to create it?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:23:23 AM by Angus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up